ID this part please

Can someone help ID this? It’s between a high efficiency forced air unit and a gas fired hot water heater. Other side of the wall is the living room wall inside. Couldn’t see anything from the attic. No AC unit or line set - just the service disconnect. House is new construction single family single story.

Trap primer device. Used to keep the trap from drying out during the off season. Constantly drips water into the trap.

Kind of overkill, the more common solution I see is a condensate ejector pump.


There are different types of these, make sure it’s the right type for the application. Note the shutoff valve above the trap primer WITH THE HANDLE REMOVED as das valve is nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mitten grabben.


I don’t know what you mean with [quote=“Adam DeRose, post:1, topic:214790, username:aderose”]
between a high efficiency forced air unit and a gas fired hot water heater
I see a drain pipe consisting of pex and cpcv that ends in an open drain with trap. There’s a brass shut-off valve with the handle removed so that it could not be closed, presumably, and another brass fitting that I’m not familiar with. That could all have been a simple continuation of the pex into the final open drain. I would suspect this to be an HVAC condensate drain, which is typically for both furnace and AC. But you said there’s no AC which I find suspect for a new home. Nothing in the attic?

Thanks! I appreciate it

I was just giving the location of it between the hvac and hot water heater. No A/C for sure they’re not installing them here not sure if supply issue or what but they’re prepping the houses for future installs, some with line sets and some just disconnects and none w pads poured.

Thanks for that clarification about location. A gas or propane furnace will also have a condensate drain. But I think Bryce Nesbitt’s answer is probably on the right track.

1 Like