If anyone needs help building a multi-inspector firm...

I think they are including radon, mold, and WDI.

The truth is you have the personality of sand paper and the sad story we all endure every day is your self fulfilling prophecy.

Ouch!

Not the only way. What ways have you tried?

So people hire people because they are too busy and need help?..I hired people because I wanted more business. I don’t hire people as a reaction to what I have, I hire people to facilitate my future needs. To hire people when your super busy makes no sense to me. There is no way to train them properly, there is no way to get them accustomed to you way of doing things, no way to train on software.

What it leads to is a bunch of 1/2 assed helpers making so many mistakes it frustrates you to the point where you don’t hire people and make tons of mistakes.

If you don’t have a spare $25,000 to take on a new employee while your slow, then you are that damn busy…or your not to smart with your pricing or spending.

Hiring is not a knee jerk reaction, it is a planned method for growth to facilitate what it going to be needed in the future. guess what happens to successful people? IT works, guess what happens to unsuccessful people, it doesn’t work and no matter what they do it won’t work.

Be like a real company and make a business plan and project for future growth and make provisions NOW, so that you can facilitate future needs.

Good post Russell.

Whats a good multi inspector software to use? my hip doesnt allow for multi user collaboration

HIP allows you to merge inspections. You can do part of the inspection, and your assistant/partner can do the other part, then you can merge the two.

I dont think so Dan. Im in line with Nathans parents business AND they offer all nathans services and often drive the hour north to my area at the same price. There may be some higher, I dont doubt that, but not the average

There is some very important information that is being omitted or poorly communicated in this thread. Here are some things that are indisputable:

1. Many states, especially California where the OP is from, forbid non-compete agreements. Period. Check with your state before wasting your time with one of these agreements.

2. It is crystal clear that the IRS considers people working under your name, with an on-going expectation of a working relationship, giving out your business card, according to your standards, not working for themselves or others… as employees. You will get hammered by the IRS, then the state for not paying payroll taxes and/or workers comp which can get you fines and jail time in California.

3. Having part-time inspectors does not justify a 1099 classification unless the inspector has his own business and/or works for other companies.

Remember, it’s not what YOU think, it is what the IRS thinks about the employee classifications.

1. To me, after your first employee, part-time is a bad policy. Either you are busy enough to invest in another employee or you aren’t. If you want to compete today, you need to invest thousands of dollars in equipment, training, marketing, perhaps a vehicle, into each employee. We do not entertain the thought of part-time. We just wouldn’t make any profit.

I am surprised at the advice coming from someone who “ran a business” in CA. The best advice would be not to have a business in CA, but that is a different topic. Always check what the laws are in your state before assuming or convincing yourself what is legal.

Good points Phillipe, thank you for the insight.

I spoke with Sheilenna today about turning my company into a multi-inspector firm. She was very helpful and willing to answer all of my questions. If anyone has questions about taking their business in this direction I strongly recommend contacting her directly.

Bump

So I can find again.

This thread made me think. Thank you!

How do I get a hold of her?

Initially my business plan warranted ten CPI’s across multiple counties and grossing approximately $33K per month. Would I do that now? No. Life’s more important. Do what feels right to you. The business structure as it is now (almost five years later) has certainly molded itself into its own creative, successful path. Many have been asking whether I was an inspector, so to clear the air, below is a brief bio…

After a 26 year career in corporate America, I joined forces with my husband in the launching of a Residential and Commercial Inspection business. Our business commenced in April 2010 and was my first introduction to InterNACHI. I too performed my own due diligence against InterNACHI and other industry leaders. Yet in my opinion, there was no comparison. I followed Nick’s strategies in the “How to Run a Successful Home Inspection Business” by the book, even down to the RED PHONE. His tips work! By year-end of 2013 our company had four full-time inspectors (one being my husband who is now a CMI). My primary focus was launching the business, mixed with sales and marketing. In 2014, I had the opportunity of joining up with InterNACHI. I am a witness to the level of dedication and professionalism Nick and his team bring to the table. Today, I’m proud to be representing InterNACHI in sales, marketing and inspiring others to reach their level of success.

I would like add that it is obviously highly important and recommended that with any business one has the proper professional structure and guidance (i.e., CPA, and legal counsel) Obviously any choices should always be made in compliance with all (including the IRS).

No such thing as over-qualified…
My Current Inspector has a Bachelors Degree from Boston College and a Masters Degree from University of Pennsylvania.

A Former University of Penn Professor…
An interesting dynamic when doing Main Line Home Inspections…

If you love what you’re doing; the success will shine through!

exactly…

Thumbs up!