ILLINOIS

Originally Posted By: rmeyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

It would be great to see all 50 states represented on the “State Legislation” board so that anyone interested in joining our profession would at least have a starting point with respect to the regulations they would be working under. To that end , I would like to add Illinois to the list.

Home Inspectors in the state of Illinois are regulated under the "Office of Banks and Real Estate".

http://www.obre.state.il.us/realest/HomeInspect.htm

On the site you can find a listing of the Advisory Board, The Illinois Home Inspector License Act, Staff Roster, Home Inspector Licensees, Application Forms, Education Providers and a Candidates Handbook.

The License Act became affective on January 1, 2003. I found it interesting that I had been a practicing HI for over 7 years before the legislation took affect, under the name "Home Inspection Services Inc.", (an Illinois Corporation) and was never notified of the pending legislation. (Guess I wasn't a member of the right "Society"!) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Some additional sites that may be of interest:

Radon - http://www.state.il.us/idns/html/radon/radon.asp

Asbestos - http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/ASBInspectorInstruction.htm

Lead - water - http://www.epa.state.il.us

Hopefully, other Illinois Inspectors may be able to add experiences, information or sites that they found helpful or informative.

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: cradan

Radon testing on any client, but I do consider it part of my job (and my service) to provide at least a modicum of education to the client, as regards the health risk posed by Radon. This link enables you to select any county in Illinois, and print-off a multi-page (5-6 pages) Adobe document which reports on testing statistics for the county selected, gives good general background on Radon, testing & mitigation, and has resources for additional information. Presented properly to the client before the home inspection, it should help you build some revenue, and present your service “value-adds.” We carry our CRM’s and Radon contracts with us, and have booked (and setup) tests on the spot as a result of our clients reading the document at the inspection.

http://www.state.il.us/idns/html/radon/prgdeser/rdncnty.asp

Regards,

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: jdavidson

Was it hard to get you Radon certification? I’m thinking about it but can’t make up my mind.

John Davidson

Heads Up Home Inspections

Morton, IL

All,

A while back there was a group seeking our support (I believe AHIA?) that was going to be a "political action" group representing HI's in pending legislation (specifically at that time in FL, NY, TX & IL).

Does anyone know if this group "took hold" and what, if any, legislation they are working on and what position they may be taking in behalf of HI's?

So far, I have only found two pieces of legislation in process in Illinois regarding the Home Inspector License Act [225 ILCS 441].

Illinois General Assembly home page: www.legis.state.il.us/

www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/93/hb/09300hb1526lv.htm

"Amends the Home Inspector License Act. Makes a technical change to a Section concerning standards of practice."

www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/93/hb/09300hb3511lv.htm

"Amends numerous Acts in relation to State boards and commissions. Eliminates salaries and per diem payments for most boards. Permits payment of reimbursement for expenses and provides for payment of a hardship allowance in appropriate cases. Reduces the membership of certain boards and ...."

If anyone knows of additional pending legislation in Illinois please feel free to post it on this site so that interested members may monitor and comment, and most importantly get involved by contacting their legislators with input.

Have a GREAT Day!!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Russ Meyers

All,

Feel kind of like I'm talking to myself on this thread! But since there have been some "views", I'll post a few more pieces of legislation that may be of interest to Illinois Inspectors.

www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/93/hb/09300hb4648lv.htm

Amends Radon Industry Licensing Act.

www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/93/sb/09300sb3150lv.htm

Deals with Residential Inspection Ordinances.

www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/93/hb/09300hb1162lv.htm

Creates an Electricians Licensing Act.

www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/93/hb/09300hb1461lv.htm

Requires licensure for persons acting as consultants under the Commercial and Public Building Asbestos Abatement Act.

www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/93/hb/09300hb1468lv.htm

Energy Efficiency Building Act establishes an Energy Efficiency Building Code.

Information on the current status of legislation can be found by entering the legislative web site www.legis.state.il.us/ and entering the "bill #" in the search box. (HB4648, SB3150, etc.)

Have a GREAT Day!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: Dan Musielski

Hey Russell,

Your info is helpful and is being read! I'm in the midst of taking the exam for Illinois, and all the info I can get is helpful. With a little luck I'll have the exam out of the way next month. This site is the only place that has info to practice. Unlike the Real Estate Exam, you can't find any text with practice exams.

Regards,
Dan

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Russell:

Joe Hagarty can probably answer your question better but AHIA is HouseMaster, NPI, Pillar to Post, and World Inspection Network franchises. NACHI is the supporting association.

Nick

Nick,

I appreciate the info. I will be finishing up the state req’d 60hrs of class time next month. I feel a bit in the dark because our instructor has not taken the exam. I’m not quite sure how a class can be approved by the state this way. However, he does appear well informed.

I have brought your web site to the attention of several of my classmates who were unaware of your online exam. Our instructor has indicated that the pass rate on the Illinois Exam is 1/5. Hopefully that is weeding out those not serious about the business.

Regards,
Dan Musielski

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Dan,

I highly recommend the code check book for exam study.
They don't talk code in school, but the exam talks code! Go figure. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Thanks Erol,

I will be sure to be strong on Codes.

Dan Musielski

I believe it’s the Code Check book that covers all the systems. No need to get 10 different code books. Exam had quite a few.

Erol

Originally Posted By: cradan

study aids. The test is not easy for any newbie, and I’ve spoken to a number of former lifelong tradesmen who didn’t pass it on their first time out. The test is not ultimately the definitive measure of residential construction knowledge, but it does a fair job of weeding out your total “poseurs.” Good luck with it, and if I can help, let me know.

Regards,

--
Chris
http://www.inspect4me.com
Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Thanks for the input guys! I definately appreciate it! Unfortunately my instruct has not even taken the test. Our class is somewhat discouraged by that; so we have all been trying to pool our knowlegdge togather to give ourselves the best chance we have at passing on the first shot! Some of the guys are only planing on doing inspection as a part time job, others (like myself) are going full time, and are far more serious about it.

Regards,
Dan Musielski

Test tip: Rule out the obviously wrong answers first. icon_wink.gif

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

ekartal wrote:
Test tip: Rule out the obviously wrong answers first. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

You don't have those on the NHIE.

Thanks for the exam tips so far guys! I just got the local community college inspection exam successfully out of the way! Now its the BLASTED ILLINOIS exam everyone is talking about!

Dan Musielski