Im new to InterNachi-but loving it!

Greetings fellow InterNachi Members! I am a brand spanking new member, looking forward to a Career in HI.
I need a bit of advice from the more experienced. First off, is it worth getting Inc.'d? If so what type? I am thinking LLC, and do sites like www.legalzoom.com really work?
Insurance Pros and Cons, Please discuss. (I currently carry liability for another business, but im sure I need a differnt type than I have)
I believe in the concept of “too big-too fast-too bad” (been there avoided that.) Point is, I need to know what specialized HI tools I will need to start with, and what I will need later.

Thanks Guys, for any imput you may have.

I always recommend E&O and sooner or later if not now your state will require it.

As for tools, the best one I have is a long handled flat head screwdriver.

Anyway welcome to NACHI.

Give me a call (see below) or send an e-mail with your phone and I will call. Glad to help.

First of all, welcome.

Second, I would strongly recommend separating your personal assests from your company assets (as any good attny will tell you).

E&O is required in my state.

[Too big too fast too bad] theory is dead on. Don’t be a flash in the pan. Have a short term goal to get up and running but your long term goal is longevity.

Basic hand tools, Electrical meter, I use a combustible gas leak detector, digital camera, ladder, binoculars, computer (so you can get on the message board on a daily basis… lots to learn here)
I am sure you will get lots of opinions; this is mine and I hope it helps.

What frank said and a good flashlight.

A good moisture meter, a borscope for looking in and around places, a good set of screw drivers tiff gas sniffer, gfci outlet tester, afci tester, electric meter/tester good binocs, good folding ladder( do not buy a cheap ladder) IR camera, laptop tablet pc or pda, good software, a good bag to get the tools into the house, good navigation system, and a van or suv
thats about it for starters
Oh welcome to Nachi, home of the elite inspectors of the world, where others are just looking around while were inspecting the world.

Good advice Billy!

I would just add all of the above + education.

Welcome on board Michael!

Tools…first and foremost…a digital camera. It is good to have photos in your report, and they serve as a reminder of what you observed. It is also your best liability defense.

2nd and 3rd - A step ladder, you have to get into those attics. Then you need an extension ladder, you’ll have to get up close and personal with the roof.

4th - Solid report software or some sort of professional looking report system.

5th - A good flashlight. Can’t report what you cant see.

Also want a moisture meter to know if that spot on ceiling is an active or a old leak. Circuit tester, screw drivers and awl. I also like a voltage tester and infrared thermometer.

A nice business card and a decent web site.

Thank you all for your imput so far. This has been a big help. :smiley:
Please post your opinion, even if its been “covered”

Hi Michael,

Welcome to InterNACHI!

Hi,

Can you recommend a good Moisture meter?

TRAMEX!:stuck_out_tongue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdevries
A good moisture meter, a borscope for looking in and around places, a good set of screw drivers tiff gas sniffer, gfci outlet tester, afci tester, electric meter/tester good binocs, good folding ladder( do not buy a cheap ladder) IR camera, laptop tablet pc or pda, good software, a good bag to get the tools into the house, good navigation system, and a van or suv
thats about it for starters
Oh welcome to Nachi, home of the elite inspectors of the world, where others are just looking around while were inspecting the world.

**Ditto! :stuck_out_tongue: **

William touched on this, but I’m writing an article on asset protection for inspectors. I’m almost done with it, but I’m getting sleepy. Bed time.

Anyway, welcome.

Welcome to InterNachi and the HI business.

E & O insurance is a must. A solid Pre-Inspection Agreement.

As far as tools go, at at minimum:

1. A good flashlight - InterNachi Ultra Stinger is great.
  2. Good ladder. I use a telescoping ladder and a 2 foot ladder or stool
  3. Circuit tester with GFCI trip test
  4. Digital Camera
  5. Computer with Reporting Software. I use a laptop but do my reports in my office or at home. I know a lot of inspectors who do their reporting on site, but in my opinion they can only produce a boiler plate report and cannot portray everything I think needs to be included in the report. My reporting takes 2+ hours usually. *If anyone wants to suggest how to cut that down please let me know!
  6. Good flat blade screwdriver
  7. Binocualars
  8. Moisture Meter - you have to know if that water stain is active or not

Addtional tools if you desire:
9. Gas Leak Detector
10 Carbon monoxide detector
11. Slip on booties (makes a great impression with buyer/seller/realtor)
12. IR camera (I’m saving up for one of these myself)
13. IR Thermometer
14. Nav system for your car. I can’t live without this. It takes the stress out of making sure you know where you’re going and if you will get there on time.
15. Website

There are so many other tools that could be implemented. Get your feet wet and you will eventually be able decide how much you need. All inspectors have their own methods, and preferences on inspecting. You will find your comfort zone.

Best of Luck.

Welcome. Contact me if you need anything.
Read ALL the InterNACHI benefits because it takes a while to see them all.

http://www.nachi.org/benefits.htm
http://www.nachi.org/success

This will help you get your web site on Google

http://www.nachi.tv/episode24
http://www.nachi.tv/episode36

Agree, but with some modifications. See Below:

Hope this helps;

All the posts have been excellent with great info. Here’s another angle, don’t skimp on legal advice. Have your attorney or an attorney who does contracts make a pre-inspection agreement up for you. They will or should know what your state allows and/or requires for HIs. In the mean time, use the INACHI agreement. It’s good but may need to be tweaked for you and your state. The couple hundred dollars you spend on a good agreement, will pay off in the end.

In addition, I will forward you my E&O insurance agents email and number. She can quote in all states and will do her best to find the best rate. She has saved me over $600/yr on rates with a good company.