I'm typing this from the Ft. Lauderdale, FL home inspector/mold licensing meeting.

An inspector now explaining that everything should be done online because he can’t afford to keep driving to Jacksonville for courses and exams.

It is nice hearing all of the comments from the department. We didn’t get that yesterday in Orlando.

Jeff Hooper, President of FABI supporting InterNACHI’s position by saying that as a GC he takes much of his courses online.

Jeff Hooper just testified “the only way to get certain specific training is online.”

A Dr. somebody speaking now and saying that a proctored exam can only be a broad exam, but in contrast online exams are superior because they can be advanced.

It’s turning into an InterNACHI promotional event.

Engineer explaining that he enjoys all the advanced education at InterNACHI. He says he also has a handicapped child and enjoys being able to study at night.

Jay Schwartz waiting behind him in line.

Jay Schwartz reminding department that we can proctor any quiz or exam at the community colleges if the department insists on it.

Jay Schwartz saying education materials are too expensive. Some books are $100. InterNACHI has all the text downloadable online for free.

The test could be Proctored in Florida through the local chapters, for licensing purposes. Each chapter president could certify the process.

FABI now proctors their exam at the office or the quarterly events.

Did Hooper address new construction inspections?

Jay Schwartz telling department not to waste their time getting courses approved. InterNACHI’s courses are already approved nearly everywhere.

FABI President Jeff Hooper saying that FABIs exam has about a 30% pass rate, from his audience seat.

Jay Shwartz reminding everyone that, unlike FABI, one of InterNACHI’s many exams are a requirement PRIOR to joining, and many after.

Jay taking questions from the audience. First time this has happened since meetings took place.

Jay explaining that when this law goes into effect, it triggers 67 other counties that will have to change. I’m not sure I understood his point. Jay is an elected official and a member of InterNACHI.

Exam discussion over.

I just spoke in opposition to the state doing credit checks, which are a civil matter, not criminal. In this economy, many inspectors have had their credit reports harmed.

Harold Jacobson (a member) asking about E&O insurance.

Department looking through statute to answer. They said they’d get back to him.

I happen to know it isn’t in there.

Department saying they’ll “look into insurance requirement.”

Another “kumbaya” speaker. I’ll spare you all.