In NY, the time to act is NOW!!!!

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As of the week of this posting, the state senate and assemblies in NY are winding down for the summer. They feel the need to push as much through as possible. As such, I urge all NY inspectors, whether they support legislation or not, to write to as many assembly and senate members as possible to NOT support S4616A and its sister bill in the assembly. There’s yet another flosting around, known as A0076 (assembly bill).

These bills are POISON for the industry in NY State, and will put control of evryone's fate into the hands of a few established inspectors. It's the SAME bill, essentially, which killed many good and honest home inspection businesses in New Jersey.

For those who support legislation, there are better, fairer, and more honest ways to pass meaningful laws in the name of consumer protection.

The time to act is NOW, not tomorrow, or the next day, or next week. Passage of the law in its current form will be the death knell for many good inspectors who (1) cannot or have not pass the NHIE, whether qualified or not and/or (2) do not have 300 inspections undr their belt. Life experience means nothing under the present law. If you were not specifically a home inspector, architect, or PE, you cannot qualify.

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Joe,

Can you tell us what changes you would like see for the bill?

The NJ deadline was extended until June 2004, so no home inspectors have been put out of business, yet. HI's have until that time to do up to 400 total inspections,or work as an associate for a licensed HI.

I think someone should be able to pass a test such as the NHIE to have the basic knowledge. It can be taken as many times as necessary.

There's no doubt that the NJ bill and its implementation have gotten screwed up, and it was worked on for 5 years. Rushing the legislation in NY would not be a good thing.

The requirement for $ 500,000 in E&O insurance is one of the positive aspects of the the new law, in NJ.

(I'll be the first to admit that I'm biased for obvious reasons)

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Neal,

I just happen to think that it is not in our industry or our inspectors best interests to pass home inspection laws. As we have witnessed in other states it only tends to set standards for licensing that are easily acquired. This is one of those NO WIN situations no matter which side you are looking at it from.

While local chapters (ASHI) all over the nation are pushing for legislation, with the blessing of ASHI National, they are failing to realize that in doing so they are essentially opening up the industry to those that would not have had any interest before the law was passed.

On a personal level I do believe they tend to blame associations like NACHI for their own failures on the personal and legislative levels. If you really want to help inspectors, get rid of those ridiculous attempts that make you look smarter or more professional, they are only hurting all of us.

Hopefully they will wake up someday and realize that.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Neal,

Quite frankly, the entire bill is BS. It should be scrapped for the piece of crap it really is. It was dreamt up by a bunch of inspectors looking to protect their piece of the pie, at the expense of other HIs, and quite frankly, the public at large.

My views on the matter are quite clear. I believe that for those inspectors who truly believe that some legislation is a needed thing, a better plan can be formulated.

As to true ideas and views, Neil, can you explain to us how it it that you managed to get your Jersey license when so many other qualified inspectors are sucking wind in hopes of getting theirs. I laugh when I see your comment regarding NJ's one year extension. I bet that move frosted some a$$es in NJ. As to the 400 inspections you mentioned, has someone raised the bar from the 300 I believed was the standard, or is it just wishfull thinking on your part.

As to the NHIE being a test of basic knowledge, you're kidding aren't you? It's far from a basic exam. To call it comprehensive is a bit of a stretch, as well. I'll bet that more than 60% of what's on that test is rarely used during an inspection. I say, the test has to be administrated by NY for it to be valid, at a much reduced rate, like $50. It should be open book, not closed. I'lll use the same standards that code enforcement officials use in their own testing criteria. If the test must be closed book, it needs to be a more reasonable exam. As to the idea that passing this test is somehow a measure of a person's overall knowledge or competency is also laughable. What do we do for the folks who have the backgroung and knowledge, but are simply bad test takers? Do they go away? The NHIE should be sidelined in NY, just as it was in Conn, much to the dismay of ASHI.

Sorry if I'm a bit hard on you Neal, but I find it interesting how it was so easy for you to get your license, when all the while, word has it that you work for someone who sits on NJ's HI Board. Just a wild and wacky coincidence I guess...

Be sure and tell your buds up in NY what we're up to...

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Joe F.

My offer to write your legislature and let them know what those bu**heads are up too still stands. I would be more than happy to disclose all the faults with the proposed legislation here and abroad, like NJ. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Maybe it will save you guys up there in NY the same headaches PA and NJ went through.

Joe Myers