Indoor Barbeque

On an inspection I came across an indoor built in barbeque. The barbeque was integrated next to the firplace and had its own flue liner. There were some safety concerns that I found, I guess my biggest question is are barbeques acceptible indoors if it has a flue?

There would be several considerations required before it could be allowed. A flue would be one of those.

Not as far I know.
But I do not like Gas stoves either . They seem the same to me.

I guess that is why they have a lot of gas stoves with electric ovens.

Roy sr

Please don’t tell me they use charcoal…inside… :shock:

Yes they do ude charcoal inside… Gives you a good buzz

Properly installed and with the proper flue I don’t see a problem. Restaurants do this all the time. I have seen many wood burning ovens in pizza parlors and most of the bagel shops in Montreal use wood burning ovens. It all depends on the vent hood I would think.

I really can’t believe that someone would risk death burning charcol inside a home… A restaurant is configured (better be) for combustion air requirements and draft hoods, fire suppression so on… How on earth can one have that in a home?? …Sure maybe some very well off people with commercial level equipment but…:shock::shock: Wood is a different with respect to fireplaces and danger levels but Charcol… YIKES…

From the CPSC below…

Each year, there are about 20 deaths from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and about 400 emergency room treated injuries from CO poisoning resulting from charcoal grills. Charcoal produces CO when burned. CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can accumulate to toxic levels in closed environments. To reduce these CO poisonings, CPSC is offering the following safety tips:

  • ** Never burn charcoal inside of homes, vehicles, tents, or campers. Charcoal should never be used indoors, even if ventilation is provided. **
    ]* Since charcoal produces CO fumes until the charcoal is completely extinguished, do not store the grill indoors with freshly used coals.**
    In April 1996, CPSC revised the label on charcoal packaging to more explicitly warn consumers of the deadly CO gas that is released when charcoal is burned in a closed environment. The new label reads, “WARNING…CARBON MONOXIDE HAZARD…Burning charcoal inside can kill you. It gives off carbon monoxide, which has no odor. NEVER burn charcoal inside homes, vehicles or tents.” The new label also conveys the written warning visually with drawings. The new label requirement became mandatory on all packages of charcoal filled on or after November 1997.

Hold on,
If you burn wood in a fireplace the last stages of combustion is done when the wood has turned to charcoal. If you put a fire out before the wood has turned to ash you have…charcoal. So where does that leave you with burning charcoal in the home? All solid fuels and all fossel fuels when burned give off CO, so, if properly vented you don’t think twice about having a gas burning stove in the kitchen or a gas fired waterheater in the basement. So it comes down to proper venting and good combustion.

No disagreement from me Larry on the science of the process but what I am referring to is the grocery store (Kingsford or similar brand) briquettes, blocks.

I’m referring to industrial made charcol, made under high pressure and , chemically treated. That will kill people when burned in confined spaces like inside homes as the CSPC warning states. . Would you use that in a fire place designed for wood??
Perhaps the term BBQ and how it’s done is different… I know it as a Weber grill outside with charcol from the grocery store…:smiley:

Maybe our terms are the same but the methods are different.
Either way we need combustion air and lots of it and from what I have been taught and read . You never charcol BBQ inside a house as some people found out the bad way… Dead

I would think blacksmiths never had closed / sealed workshops for the same reason.
People using grocery store bought charcol is my concern. Cooking over an open wood fire in the “very old days” with a Calderon in a fire place had tremendous combustion air from infiltration in the dwellings . Huge leaks so they faired much better then John & Jane Public in there 70’s home.

The density of charcol as a fuel is vastly greater then wood logs, cords in the same fireplace.

It’s all about safety here.

People do stupid things all the time and I am sure you have seen your share of what I am talking about .

This is similar to what I had to cook on for years. pay attention to the name.

Didn’t affect me affect me affect me.

Seriously we had an elderly couple die from CO this past winter trying to stay warm with a charcoal grill in their bedroom. It was determined they had died from CO before the fire ever started. Utility company and landlord are under investigation in a wrongful death/murder.

Are you qualified to determine proper draft air, combustion air, flue sizing and compliance…

If it’s manufactured for this application I’d have concerns and state them in the report. If it’s mason built I’d have concerns and state them in the report.

I either find enough of the obvious items to report as defects (absent screens, doors, spark arrestors, hearth extension, clearance to combustibles…) or state I am not qualified to inspect and either way defer defer defer! Most I’ve seen or had are aftermarket “Homer” installed and in NO WAY comply to any of our most basic standards. cya

a warrior out of his element is in deep shet

There would be the difference. Charcoal briquettes are manufactured and charcoal is charcoal. I guess it comes down to semantics.

If it is a fireplace type of grill with a proper flue I can’t see the reason for an issue. A fire is a fire, and the exhaust of the gasses is the important factor. CO deaths in homes with charcoal usually result from an idiot bringing his grill into the home because it’s raining. The gasses get vented into the house and people die. Every time I have ever started a fire in my fireplace (years ago when I lived up north!:smiley: ) I kept the large pieces of “charcoal” from the previous fire.

Seems to me you’d have to confirm installation compliance to mfgr’s specs, which is beyond the scope. If you let it go and you’re wrong… bad things could happen. If you call it and make the owner document proper installation… you’re off the hook and no one gets hurt. -Kent

Without actually lighting the unit to see if it drafts it would only be an opinion as to whether it is functioning as intended. Even then if you did light it and it did draft there is no guarantee it will draft properly on another day when weather conditions are different.