INDOOR POOLS

Originally Posted By: rmoewe
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I will be inspecting my first house with an indoor pool. Can someone tell me what special things should be in a room that contains a pool, other that the regular outdoor pool… I know that the humidity must be taken out some way. Are there exhaust fans? How many are needed, what kind, etc,etc? Also should the walls in the room have special kind of paint? icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: scieslewicz

Richard,

Check lights and/or paddle fans above the pool. The fans must have a clearance from the paddle a minimum of 7.5 feet from the maximum water line. Make sure all lights are enclosed. Make sure all electrical is gfci protected. Check pool equipment room for usual things and make sure that pool equipment that is electrical is marked on the service panel door. Also check glass areas close to the pool/deck areas to make sure it is proper.

Remember that if something doesn't look right or safe, it probably isn't!!

Sue

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
Check lights and/or paddle fans above the pool. The fans must have a clearance from the paddle a minimum of 7.5 feet from the maximum water line.

Ah yes, now I see it 7.5 feet for indoor pools is correct (NEC 680.22B2) if the light is enclosed and GFCI protected.

I would tend to treat these almost the same as I would an outdoor pool as for the bonding requirements and GFCI protection. Windows and doors entering the area should be alarmed per IRC 105.2 or UBC 421.1 (may not be applicable due to year of construction but recommend for safety regardless). Safety glass installed per IRC 308.4 or UBC 2406.4.

In addition, adequate ventilation and/or dehumidification equipment.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

Thanks, Guys

The inspection went real well. I found a few things with the pump and motor. The owner had the pool guy there to fix everything within 30 mins. I now have a person willing to take me out and show me EVERYTHING about pools. The home also had no door alarms, and the client loved hearing that they should be installed, (he has a 3 year old).

Jeff, Thanks for the links. I will be inculding a copy of the enclosuers in every home inspection that I do with a pool, even if I don't inspect the pool.

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I’m happy to hear that things went well. icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738