"Inspecting Asphalt Shingle Roofs" online video course

View of deck clip (h clips) and proper penetration of fasteners

Hello Everyone, the course was interesting. I have worked with appraisals and seen different type of damaged shingles but now I have a deeper knowledge about types of shingles, what they are made of and cause of damage. It was great.

Thanks, very useful the online course.R10036215_101_12[1].jpgR10036215_101_12[1].jpg

http://roof.jpg.to

This roof incorporates the use of 3 tab shingles and has a 5:12 pitch. It seems to be in good condition, shows no signs of fastener or seal strip failure.

I read Hail damage part 1 & 2. It was interesting to review my old science class information on the subject, but I was more interested in how to determine real hail damage. Functional damage is what to look for because it decreases the useful life of the roof. Cosmetic damage may still be paid by your insurer, but it’s not up to us to determine.

Just finishing the course and posting my required photo. I have a background in residential construction and found it very informative. Looking forward to the other courses in preparation for my state exam.

Thanks

Picture is of a traditional soffit vent system used in this area back to the 1950’s. Roof and drip edge have been redone in the past 10 years and appears to be in good condition though a little maintenance would be recommended in the near future.

Hello everyone

This roof is from 2005 but has rotted soffit :neutral:

regards

I took this pick of the roof and gutter system to illustrate one method of keeping fast flowing water in the gutter instead of flowing out. This is the confluence of two roofs,and in Fl. The rain can hammer down very quickly.

Very interesting stuff!

Hi everyone how is the course going?

This roof has a snow load on it for several weeks, so I took a shot of the gutter/leader
showing no ice damming. The texture 111 siding and rough sawn facia appear to be in good condition. The soffit appears to be in good condition.

See the attached inspection/checklist for the Castelli residence
conducted on 2.24.15 at 5:35pm

Hello,

I have finished the course and also read the two articles on " Mastering Roof Inspections" 

Article 1: Roof Styles
Article 2: Moisture Problems

I read the two above because living in Central FL. we have a wide range of roof styles and moisture is a common problem, with us being surrounded by large bodies of water.

Anthony

Hello everyone. I’m in the process of completing the initial 8 hrs on Asphalt Shingle Roofs and would like to thank Kenton Shepard for putting this together. Attached below is a photo of a roof with double layer laminated “Architectural” GAF Shingles.

I would also like to point out that in Quiz 15, question #8,
" Plywood and OSB can leave the production line with a moisture content as low as ___ %."
6% is accepted as the correct answer on the quiz, however in video 15 the instructor clearly states that it is 4%. Just a small detail I thought I would point out. Hope this is helpful.

This is a picture of rolled roofing on a back porch. Significant cracking exists throughout the roof, evidence of patchwork, and biological growth in some spots. The underside of the roof shows signs of past leakage.

Hello everyone,
I have taken a picture of a roof with tile installed. Also included in the picture is the gutter and soffit system. All is in good condition at this time.

Mark

Hi Everyone,
The attached picture shows a aging roof with interlocking shingles. Lots of granular loss, exposed fasteners and distortion of the shingles. Sample of the shingles wind lifted out of the interlock at eaves and creased over.

Howie Boyda
Canadian Residential Inspection Sevices

Hi Everyone,
Please see the attached required roof inspection.
Please note that the asphalt shingles had evidence of blistering, creasing and minor granular loss at edge of shingles.

Howie

Actually one is 4% (I think that was plywood , but it could be OSB) and the other 6%.

On to roofs

Shingle manufacturers are notorious for denying material defect claims however every once in a while they simply have no choice. Somehow an exorbitant amount of ferrous metal was included in the granule blend which caused the roof to “bleed” throughout the entire system. Notice that the (improperly placed) EG fasteners show no signs of corrosion.