Inspecting “buildings with more than 4 dwelling units” SOPs

You will have to join a commercial inspection association to get those questions answered.
Nick will likely be along to give you a link to CCPIA. CCPIA - Certified Commercial Property Inspectors Association.

This is a home inspection association. InterNACHI, International Association of Certified Home Inspectors.

I belonged to The National Association of Commercial Building Inspectors along with most members here that inspect commercial properties. You will have better luck there.

The Scope of the ‘Home Inspection’ should be clear as not to blend any excluded common areas.
(Private area only and adjoining common areas only. Attached Exterior envelope, Windows, if/when applicable. Balcony, Egress, Attached Exterior common wall-hallway surfaces. Locker. Garage space # / Parking area #.)
That is what I cover inspecting Condo/Apartments as a Home Inspection.

Remember… InterNachi is an International Organization, so everything they do is geared to helping the entire planet… GENERICALLY!
Your State, on the other hand, specifically controls you directly. If you feel there is a problem with their ‘guidelines/SOP’, you need to contact them directly for a legal ruling, and if none is given, file a FORMAL COMPLAINT to resolve the issue(s).

1 Like

Already a trained member… thanks anyway.

1 Like

Yes, in Arizona, the students have to turn in a list of 30 addresses that they inspected with an instructor inspector. They then look through the addresses and any that have a “unit number” over 4, they seem to have an issue with. I am going to advocate for my students against them “not counting” these addresses because of my above reasoning.

2 Likes

Best of luck Dillon. I think you obviously have an argument. However, the verbiage is so vague
that its being used against your inspectors.

Importantly, these inspections are happening in the real world for a fee. Maybe if you point that out, they will look at things a bit differently.

2 Likes

Great point. Thank you!

2 Likes