inspecting churches

Yes, that would be my understanding a well. Hopefully one of “experts” will also answer.

first and foremost, i want to provide the BEST service to my client on this.

churches are not something that sell alot around here, so finding an inspector that’s very knowledgeable about churches may be few and far between here.

although i dont like it, i feel my report would have to be HEAVILY disclaimed?
no?

Here are my plans for this property:

Roofing - hire contractor ( there are roofing issues throughout, so deferring the whole thing to a roofer is likely anyway) should i still bother hiring a roofing contractor?

HVAC - hire contractor - huge steam boiler and 2 roof AC units ( AC would not be ran due to outside temps )

ELECTRICAL - go it alone ( although it’s not 3 phase, I imagine there are numerous panels throughout the 8500 sq ft ) should I hire an electrician for this reason alone?

I’ll be able to do the rest.

Any thoughts on this plan?
Yeas or Naes?

also, how and what info do you request from the contractors?

do you just get the same info from them that you would put on the report, or is there a different format i’d receive from them?

Personally, I would sub out the roof, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing (there may be cast iron waste pipes). I would also disclaim and not inpsect the commercial kitchen. Dont forget to disclaim any environmental issues. As for pricing, I would get with my subs first to determine what they will charge, and then add in what I think I should be charging on top of that. From the looks of it, that inspection could take two days, with the subs, so charge accordingly. Whatever you do, do not shor change yourself.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Yes, I do, only because both conservative and liberal economists say we could. When conservatives and liberals agree, it must be right. :mrgreen:

Your fallacy is thinking that each church would pay the same amount in taxes. First Baptist in Houston, Second Baptist in Houston, and First Presbyterian are capable of paying, oh, a billion or so each. A couple here in the same state. Not to mention Crystal Cathedral and our newest, greatest preacher, Joel what’s-his’name.

Many churches in many states, perhaps all churches in all states, are exempt from property taxes. That right there explains a lot. Society has to pay for all the traffic problems, extra policeman directing traffic on Sundays (overtime pay), etc., yet they pay no property taxes to support those services. Uh-huh. Yep, something is seriously wrong here in America. The Founding Fathers are have probably turned over in their grave many, many times with this religious theocracy that the nation keeps trying to turn itself into. Thankfully, we have the ACLU keeping an eye on things. :smiley:

Society includes the people who are attending the services. The founding fathers would indeed be shocked–the country is MUCH MUCH MUCH less religious than it was in their time. (Don’t go quoting Jefferson to me…I realize he was a heritic.)

The founding fathers were trying to escape from a theocracy known as the Church of England. They were smart in separating religion from government; they are two separate entities. If one wants a religious theocracy, one should move, perhaps, to Iran or Afghanistan.

Uh hem, we are drifting quite far off topic but you say you enjoy thread drift.:slight_smile:

Russel, I would enjoy reading something from these economists you mentioned. Do you have any names?

No fallacy at all. I chose to deal with averages because that information is available. 20 million would be impossible for the vast majority of churches and likely all but an extreme minority. If you have better numbers please present them so we can all learn.

Many think churches are a positive influence on society. I wonder what the cost to society would be in there absence?

Russel, there where a number of state churches early on in this country. I for one would not support a theocracy and you have little to fear along these lines.

Go read the newspaper records from 1976 through to the present. Both Republican and Democrat economists have suggested taxing churches, but, of course, the powerful church lobby and the religious political extremist fanatic fundamentalist congresspeople put an end to such thinking, but it comes up every time Congress has to pass legislation increasing the legal trade deficit.

Many also think churches have a severe negative influence on society. Personally, I’m in the John Lennon crowd: Imagine there’s no religion.

Key words there are “early on in this country.” That’s one of the many reasons why there was a revolution. The Founding Fathers didn’t want state churches involved in government. Considering that Columbus got here ca. 1492, there’s about 510 years of history here.

Good.

Russel, I had hoped you would provide a resource for me to read on church taxation as I have thrown out all my old newspapers in the age of the internet.

Perhaps you would care to read this material to add to your expansive knowledge on church state seperation and the influence of religion on society. There are many good quotes from Jefferson that you should be aware of.

Here is my favorite little story-.

President Jefferson was on his way to church on a Sunday morning with his large red prayer book under his arm when a friend querying him after their mutual good morning said which way are you walking Mr. Jefferson. To which he replied to Church Sir. You going to church Mr. J. You do not believe a word in it. Sir said Mr. J. No nation has ever yet existed or been governed without religion. Nor can be. The Christian religion is the best religion that has ever been given to man and I as chief Magistrate of this nation am bound to give it the sanction of my example.Good morning Sir.

more here:

http://www.heritage.org/Research/PoliticalPhilosophy/fp7.cfm

on the myth of the “Wall of Seperation”

http://www.heritage.org/Research/PoliticalPhilosophy/fp6.cfm

The The Impact of Religious Practice on Social Stability

http://www.heritage.org/Research/Religion/bg1992.cfm

Enjoy and let me know what you think after reading them.

I fail to see why a church would be any different from any other building. Its a building. It should be inspected like anyother building.

Ah, but that’s the beauty of the Internet. It’s all available. You seem to be fairly good tracking things down, so have at it.

Been there, done that. History is my “religion.”

There’s a reason why the Founding Fathers created a republican democracy, to keep religious political extremist fanatic fundamentalists from ruining the nation that they founded, not that the RPEFF’s won’t continue to try.

Not necessarily.

I stay away from anything that has more than 400-amps electrical capacity coming in to it. Commercial electricity is a whole 'nother world from residential electricity.

I inspect residential and “commercial residential,” i.e. condo and apartment complexes. I don’t inspect commercial. Just this year already I’ve turned down a strip shopping mall, a KFC, and a Boston Market.

Additionally, my E&O insurance doesn’t cover me for commercial.

Russel, I guess that means you didn’t read the Jefferson material in those links. Oh well I tried. Happy delusions sir.

Read it all before. Jefferson is one of my favorite figures in history. He also owned a lot of slaves. Enough said. He and the other Founding Fathers were fully aware that one’s personal interests and beliefs should not be dictated by government. Ergo, the Revolution. So I will happily wallow in my delusions while you subject yourself to religious brainwashing. :wink:

Well, I was out but I resent your insinuation that I have been brainwashed.

Simply put Russel, Your jaded and one sided view of history is laughable to say the least. :roll:

Russell

I think there is Tequila in the chalice. :wink:

Religion is all about brainwashing to maintain power and money. The governments in the Middle East are a great example. I don’t want that for America. We’re better than that, in spite of King George and his thirst for oil money.

Instead of wine! Nooooooooooooooooooo! :shock: