Inspecting Disconnected Drains

Originally Posted By: dhartke
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just got a call from an unhappy client. I inspected a mobile home for him 3 weeks ago. The home had set vacant for a few months before I did the inspection.

He said he saw water coming from beneath, removed the skirt access hatch, looked under and saw the "belly wrap" vapor barrier bulging down. There is some wet carpet above the sagging vapor barrier. The wet condition did not show up until he used the clothes washer. It sounds like a leak on the high end of the washer drain pipe.

During the inspection I ran water down all the drains except the washer drain. The washer was not there when I did the inspection and the crawl space was bone dry. The vapor barrier was sagging but felt light and dry when I lifted it from below. The 2 closest support piers were settled so they did not touch the frame. The signs were there. I just did not read them right. If the home was occupied I would have caught it as the vapor barrier would have been heavy and hanging low, and a wet crawlspace. I am going to meet with the plumber and the owner Thursday morning.

The owner/client said, "Why pay for an inspection when I move in and this happens?" He has a good point but where does it end with an unoccupied home or an occupied home with unused drains? Run water down the washer drain, the basement floor drain, the gutter downspout drains, the AC and furnace condensate drains?

Originally Posted By: rchoreyii
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I would write my reports stating “That when the inspection was done or During the performance of the inspection” I noticed no visible leaks under the home. Also, I would have put that the home is vacant and has been for (X amount of time).

Ron Chorey

LAS CRUCES Home Inspections

rchorey@comcast.net

rchoreyii@nm.nachi.org