"Inspecting Metal Roofs" online video course

Mastering Roof Inspections: Metal Roofs part 2 was a helpful article illustrating the three different kinds of corrosion an inspector will most likely encounter. The climate zone will impact which type is most common to his inspection area.

The Roofing article is aimed at consumers, giving them helpful suggestions concerning maintaining their roof. It explains the different types of roofing material available to them. It provides suggestions as to how to go through the re-roofing process, selecting a roofing contractor, etc.

Reading and writing:

I read Mastering Roof Inspections part 1 & 2 by Kenton Shepard and Nick Gromicko. The articles were basically about items discussed in the video. The first discussed the various styles that metal roofs come in which can be divided into two main categories, structural and architectural. Metals are generally taken from their natural low energy state and be formed into a high energy state and formed into roofing materials. The second article discussed the three types of corrosion, Galvanic, Crevice, and Filiform.

This image of a Galvalume metal panel roof was taken at a recent inspection conducted on October 28, 2015. The roofing had sustained what the inspector deemed “minor hail damage” , and this was reported in the inspection report for the buyers as follows : "Hail damage (cosmetic damage)
At the time of the inspection, the metal roofing had damage visible that appeared to be hail damage. This damage appears to be cosmetic only. We typically recommend a roof examination by a qualified roofing contractor, who can further evaluate the condition seen, if concerned.

I just got a metal roof inspection today. The customer also asked for a Wind Mit. Have done many wind mits on Asphalt shingle roofs but this my first on a metal roof. From reviewing the wind mit form it appears the only difference for metal roofs is the box that is checked. All other parameters seem to fit for the decking. Does this sound correct?

This course had great information. Kenton does such a great job!

This is a neighbors carport metal roof. Galvanized steel and factory paint coated
Installed on roof framing on 1X6 sheathing on 24" spacing. Proper fastening appeared to be installed. Though a low slope 1:10, appears in good condition at this time

metal roof1.JPG

From the Library of Inspection articles I chose to read Wind Mitigation and Roofing Underlayment

In a recent coastal windstorm here, many metal roof were damaged due to corrosion and weak fasteners where wind could get more lift under steel panels. This mainly occurred on commercial business and barns where metal roofing was used. Regular roof inspections could have benefitted these places not only for wind but also for leakage and moisture intrusion.
Understanding the underlayment type would also help in explaining any moisture intrusions that one may find in attics of metal roof clad homes. Especially those using not protrusion type fasteners.

The attached photo is of metal roof tile on a home inspection. I identified it as a metal roof and stated that access of roof was limited to inspection from ladder at eaves. This is due to the shingles being made of a metal material, preventing us from walking on the shingles.

I also identified footfall damage from previous foot traffic on the roof.

Range Anti-tip brackets
As a home inspector, I always check and identify whether or not there is an anti-tip bracket present. At the end of the inspection, during the review with client, I always point out many of the issues related to the tipping of ranges. I never considered the elderly leaning on the door during cleaning. Good info.

Crawlspace inspections
I am completely comfortable entering crawlspaces, even though they often contain cobwebs, dirt, mud, high humidity, feces, rodents, and many other unpleasant things. The one thing that does concern me and I take precaution for is the Hantavirus.

This is a close up of a section of a architectural standing seam metal roof that was installed in 2005. This roof was installed with clip fasteners. As seen in the attached picture there is crevice corrosion near the seam, but other than the corrosion there is no visible defects in the roofing material.

I’ve seen a couple of these…
One was perfect…
One, they cut corners on the dormer eves where it was hard to get at…
Wrote 'em up…
They’re expensive…
Bill O

A steel roof inspection I did a while back had a couple recommendations made.
I know that when I see a steel roof, professionally installed recently, my tendency is to relax a bit so I force myself to observe every detail…
Like a new home…they do have their defects…
1975 split level…
The roof coverings are newer and appear to be in generally good condition. The installation of the roofing materials has been performed
in a professional manner. The quality of the installation is above average. Better than average quality materials have been employed as
roof coverings.
Flashings
Repair: Incomplete kick-out flashing can allow water to miss the gutter and soak roof/wall/fascia transition. Rear porch area.
Repair: One small segment of flashing is missing its screws. Rear deck Southwest corner.
Further evaluation by a licensed roofer is recommended.
That’s all,Bill O

P5250531.JPG

4000 Tako.jpg

Metal roof.jpg

This is a picture of a metal roof. It looks to be newer. And functional and in good working order.

Mastering Roof Inspections: Metal Roofs, Part 2

There are different types of corrosion on metal roofs. Filiform is a corrosion that happens more in high humidty areas. Crevice Corrosion is common in places such as fasteners where moisture can sit and cause corrosion. Galvanic is an electrical process and happens where protusions have occurred in metal.

Mastering Roof Inspections: Metal Roofs, Part 3

Copper and aluminum are generally the two types of materials used in metal roofing. Both copper and aluminum are long lasting. They are also naturally resistant to corrosion.

This is a standing seam metal roof cover. The home is surrounded by evergreen trees so there is constant tree debris on the cover which is holding moisture, surface corrosion was observed in numerous areas. Numerous fasteners have neoprene washers which show deterioration due to their age & uv damage. In this image the flashing flange on the air vent traverses over a seam causing a lower exposed edge which is not sealed, this is allowing wind blown moisture to enter into the attic space.

Thank you for another good class in the roofing series. As with the other classes the student book and video work well with each other. The pictures always help the make the discussion clear.

Roof on detached garage rusty in areas on the N end. Appears to be mainly from age and not damage. Typical of coating failure. There are a few areas where the fasteners may have been over driven. Prep and painting recommended

Many times I have inspected homes with traditional shingle roofing but at the front there is a bay window with a metal roof. I always make sure to note this roof material in the report and make every attempt to get a close look at the flashing’s. Another area I have had issues is a flat roof for a balcony, the older roof’s are galvanized and many times require maintenance. Many years ago I would be asked to do roof certifications for FHA transactions but those seem to have stopped, thankfully…

Hello I am finishing up .This course has`been very informational!

Going to take the test wish me Luck!

The furnace vent in this photo is not properly flashed to the metal roofing.
The expanding foam insulation used to seal the gap around the vent is not designed for exposure to the weather and is deteriorating.
Asphalt roofing cement (tar) will eventually dry out and crack with exposure to the sun. It is meant to be used as an adhesive in an application where it will be covered and protected from the sun or as a temporary repair. This tar is cracked and leaking is imminent.
Note the lapped seam above the vent that is repaired with tar. Aside from deterioration from the sun this repair is also subject to cracking from the expansion and contraction of the metal panels as the temperature changes.
Metal expands and contracts with temperature changes. Here in Northern Wisconsin a metal roof can become so hot with direct sunshine in the summer that you cannot lay your hand on it then that same evening the temp can drop to below freezing.
The washer head nail fasteners are loosening from the effects of expansion/contraction and wind action.
Screw type fasteners are preferred.