Inspecting roof on home inspection

Come on now.
You just got done saying you consider guys not walking roofs as giving sub-standard inspections then turn around and do not carry a basic 28 foot ladder.:slight_smile:
Which way is it ?

I use a telescopic pole now by the way and get much better looks than if I was only climbing up.
1890 res video on a 24 inch monitor gives one hell of a look and better angles than a shaky guy hoping not to fall .

I walk every roof I can, don’t need a roofing contractor I had a roofing biz for ten years. And yes there’s lots you can’t see from the ground or even the eaves. Russ,Denis and John are right - if you don’t walk the roof you haven’t done the best you can for the client.

OK But do you take the boiler apart to inspect the exchanger or are you cheating your client by not doing that.
Are you using IR to examine the walls for missing insulation or are you ripping off your clients.
Are you doing reports on site or are you wasting your clients time.
You do video scan the drain tiles out to the street right (or are you still learning the trade)?
Do you do everything the way I do or are you a rookie?

Blow hards.:stuck_out_tongue:

I go up on the ladder and look with my binoculars. I rarely ever go on the roof. I’ve taken roof inspection classes and spoke to local roofers and I do as they suggest which is your more likely to do more harm than good. It’s a liability that I’m not willing to take on. Many of the roof manufactures will not warranty the roof if anyone other than one of their trained roofing contractors goes up there. I know of many Inspectors have paid for roofs and now own the warranty on them. I know that an argument can be made than any roof can be properly walked on, but I’m not a roofer and if the buyer needs someone to walk on the roof that’s probably who should be up there. Our SOP here doesn’t require us to go on anything higher than 12’ so two stories can only be done with binoculars.

I think he means by placing your ladder on the first story to get to the second story. I have done t that way for over 20 years and never broken anyones roof.

I walk probably, 95% of them. With my bad knee and now having a son to worry about, I am a little bit more picky on which roofs I’ll go on. In the last three years, there was only one roof I couldn’t get on. Fortunately, there were leaks in the attic so the roofer now gets to deal with that roof.

It looks like almost all dont go on 2 story. You can’t get up on a 2 story roof with a 20 or even 22’ ladder…

We walk almost all tile roofs - With exception to the soft (Really Round) Barrel tile roofs.

I am in a area with a ton of cut up roofs and you can not see all the tiles from the roofs edge - However it does not mean you have to walk the entire roof

Our approach is to find a slope that is easy to walk up with large ridge caps - Get to the top and see if you can see the whole roof - Dont worry about the back slope - You can see that from the back yard

This idea works and gives you 100% coverage - Your camera can zoom to the broken slope and it looks like you are right on top of the slope

Yes from the ground, I look at these things and speak with the roofer. We work together, he is honest and it serves him for good PR. Some of the homes in dade-broward are over 80 years old. Thru the years many band-aids have been done to the roofs. I believe only a seasoned roofer knows what to look for. Sure a 20 yr or less roof is not an issue. I feel roofing is my weakest discipline and have no problem learning from someone better. The point someone made, where does it stop is up to each inspector. Correct, we doing the best visual inspection possible and reference in our reports if we find something of concern to the buyer that they should seek a licensed professional for further evaluations, especially safety concerns. I am not suggesting anyone bring a roofing contractor, but it works for me, plus I hate heights.

Nick I absolutely commend you on knowing your strengths and weakness and delivering a professional alternative to the client. Not the way I would do things, but I am also not in your shoes…

Sorry,I know this is an old post,had to reply,6 years ago I took a fall off a roof,same thing,surgery,rehab,etc,I figure it was my own fault,after close to 20 years of climbing roof tops and sections of scaffold, I became way to over confident,and took the climbing for granted,and that’s when accidents happen,it was my only incident ever,(this was not an inspection,happened juring my first career)anyways,now I am extra careful,for me,a 20 foot ladder at most,climb a bungalow or sidespilt etc,a lot of these perfectly square 2 story cookie cutters are inaccessible for me,do the best I can,interested in the general consensus, but I expect it to be all over the board,thanks.

This is the reason that I don’t walk roofs with only second-story access or that are too steep. I value my life and health over the occasional inspection I loose as a result. I tell all my clients up-front about my policy, and disclose this fully in my PIA and in the Inspection Report.

I recognize the need to differentiate myself from other inspectors, and don’t deny that I may be missing some things, but I do take extra care in the attic to find evidence of leaks.

I remember seeing my father in the hospital for weeks or months at a time after taking unnecessary risks, and I don’t want to subject my family (or myself, for that matter) to that EVER.

This is a very old thread and sorry to inform you but Bill is dead.

Yes, I came to it from a Google search on the subject. Should have checked the date. Sorry to hear about Bill.