"Inspecting Wood Shingle and Shake Roofs" online video course

Thanks so much for this class it was very helpful!

This chimney on a wood shake roof was not flashed properly and should be repaired. Flashing should include both flashing and counter flashing in order to minimize the likelihood of water infiltration. The use of black tar is temporary and will fail over time. Evidence of water intrusion was visible inside this home.

Great class. Learned a lot. Thank you.

This roof was seen prior to the class content. Curling and cupping were minimal. Underlayment was present vs. interlayment and this would be considered defective. No evidence of leaking was noted and this home had NO accessible attic. This home was located in the woods and in an area where snow fall / ice damming would be very common and wild fires would be more likely than most areas. Due to those circumstances I believe a wood shake roof is a bad idea even if it could provide a long service life. Recommend regular maintenance and consider getting a bid for an alternative roof material. Lastly, homeowners will want to get an estimate for insurance cost and / or availability for this roof type in this area.

5 articles read
Mastering Roof Inspections: Accessing the Roof parts 1-5

A good refresher course on ladder types and decision making processes for choosing to or not to mount a roof. I’ve been planning to buy a Specto-Scope and this article refreshed my desire to do so.

kh

This wood shake roof was aging/weathered and had many splits throughout the roof creating a potential for leaking. Deterioration/holes were observed on south roof plane where tree branches were in contact with roof surface. Light moss growth was observed on north planes. Leaves and debris was observed throughout the roof - recommend trimming trees 10’ away from roof surface, clean off debris and moss growth and have the roof evaluated by a qualified roofer.

This wood shingle/shake roof is on a house built in 2004. It is likely the original roof, making it about 12 years old. The light cupping/curling and grayness of the roof is consistent with its age. Shingles/shakes of this type can last anywhere from 15 to 40 years, depending on many factors such as exposure to the elements, the quality of shingle, the steepness of slope, and the amount of sun and shade they see. It is recommended that a preservative treatment be applied anually to prolong the life of the roof.

The grain type of wood shake and shingle can have a big impact on its longevity. There are three types of grain: Edge grain, which has a straight vertical orientation, slash grain, which has an “s” shaped vertical orientation, and flat grain, which has a wide grain with a visible centerline. Since the edge grain has the most heart wood, it is the most resistant to checking, splitting, and erosion.

Tree branches are in contact and close proximity to roof covering and gutters. Vegetative growth was observed. Recommend trimming tree branches, clearing gutters, removing growth, and implementing normal gutter and trimming maintenance schedule.

I reviewed the gallery on framing to keep my mind fresh on a lot of the general rules. Such rules include the notching and drilling spacing and set back. Also the truss framing and standards is a good review in my area because I see a lot of issues with sagging roofs and bowed out exterior walls.

I took these two images of a home I drove by not too far from my home; it shows a shake roof with some various conditions that would be commented on if it were an actual inspection. I have knowledge that this home is about 45 to years old and this is the original shake roof. Starting at the top not very visible in the images is a pliable flashing, probably lead,like you would see on a tile roof, there is also some moss growth evident, the gaps between shakes is pretty wide in a lot of areas. Curling is evident and of course there is the obvious shake that is showing its “back”. There also appears to be splits or checks in the starter course that are in line with the gap of the top layer of shakes at the starter course. I would definitely refer this to a roofing contractor for evaluation for repair and or replacement.

I chose as my research article “Mastering Roof Inspections: Wood Shakes and Shingles Part 3”. The focus of the article was underlayment and interlayment of shakes and shingles. No underlayment should be installed with a shake roof ; interlayment should be used instead. Installation needs to be done proper so drying of the shakes is not hindered. It also indicated that no underlayment is preferred in the field of shingle roof installations; again to prevent hindering of drying processes after rains. The exception in both cases is where and ice barrier is required. I encounter less wood shake and shingle roofs than any other types of roofs but these articles help with performing inspections of wood shake and shingle roofs.

Hi,

This first pic is of a wood shingle roof with wood sheathing that is spaced apart for air movement and drying of the shingles. This pic shows interlayment in between each course which is usually done on a shake roof. You do not see many of these roofs in Florida because of the high humidity and the sun that can degrade these roof coverings rather quickly. The second pic shows cleaning and or refinishing the roof covering so it will last longer in the elements. The third pic shows what the Florida sun and humidity will eventually do to the roof covering over time.

WP_20141008_001-300x179.jpg

Hi,

In our training it talks about wood shingles that are not installed correctly and cannot dry out properly. When installed on top of underlayment the underlayment can trap moisture on the underside of the shingle. When the shingle drys out quickly on the surface from the sun, but slowly on the underside next to the underlayment the shingle or shake will start to cup and the ends will try to curl up. Since the fasteners are located about 1" from the edges this curling force from the shingle swelling and then drying out will eventually pull the fastener out of the sheathing which in turn can lead to moisture intrusion or roof covering failure due to wind.

I scoured the neighborhood in search of an old wood shingle or shake roof but all have been replaced including mine many years ago. Mine stood the test of time but eventually the harsh UV rays did her in. Local code allows for patchwork but if complete roof replacement is required it cannot be wood. Fire code! I did find a relatively nice composite shake roof that has been mistreated by its owners. This particular home has been in a downward spiral for some time now. I hope they can get things together.

Research exercise, I started reading the article on “Safe Rooms (Panic Rooms)” but then thought, wow about a wine cellar? It serves almost the same purpose except with a happy ending (we hope). So as an inspector what are we looking for if we add this to our portfolio of services? Ideally a dark, cool location below ground with no sunlight. Lights or candles are fine since we would need to move around and sample the product. The sweet spot is 55 deg F and 55 to 75% humidity at all times. So having the right insulation, cooling and duct system is vital in satisfying the temperature and humidity requirements. A proper stairway is in order along with a secure door to keep critters out and don’t forget about your thirsty neighbor! Cheers. :smiley:

This photo is of a house in Martinsburg, WV, and is the only house that I know of that had wood used as roofing in the city proper. Wood shakes are still used as siding on this home, butit previously had a wood shake roof before the architectural shingles were installed. I know, because I have been by this house countless times. When used as siding, the wood is less exposed to the weather and UV radiation. The roofing shakes had become cracked, with several missing, and were more discolored than the siding shakes. Also, excessive fungi growth was present on the roof before replacement.

I read the “Mastering Roof Inspections: Wood Shakes and Shingles, Part 1” to complete this section of the class. I learned that wood shakes may be certified to withstand winds up to 245 mph, and that wood shingles may be certified up to 173 mph. I also learned that pressure treated shakes are available. These two characteristics would appear to make these products very desirable along the coastlines.

Pictured is a shingle roof located on my property with multiple defects. To begin with, no starter course or underlayment were used . The roof was laid directly atop solid sheathing material and the pitch is less than 3 in 12. As a result cupping, decay and lichen growth can be seen here. Time to tear it off and start again.

The Western Red Shakes pictured below are edge grain shakes. They contain more heartwood then flat grain shakes making them more stable and having a greater resistance to wind and impact damage. The shown shakes were approximately 35 years old. Due to the dry, high wind climate you will notice a lot of splitting but surprisingly little cupping or curling which is due to the edge grain exposure. The roof had poor ventilation causing the shakes to retain moisture. A sign of this was the extensive fungi like growth and shake decay between courses.
P1090344.JPGP1090349.JPG

P1090349.JPG