Inspection agency question: Employee or Independent Contract

Originally Posted By: Ron Riggs
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I need the groups help in determining how my agency should classify associate and full inspectors performing inspections for my company. I don’t believe we excercise the amount of behavioral and financial control or have a specific relationship that would classify them as employees but I wanted to hear from others. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Ron you may need much more than a poll.

Check out Federal Form SS-8 "Determination of Worker Status for Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Witholding"

You may also need to examine http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc762.html

If you find you are unable/unsure of the appropriate classifictions you should seek professional consultation.

Originally Posted By: jjudy

Just a question/thought, as employees, OSHA guidelines/laws may also need to be considered?

Jeff Judy

President

Ohio State Chapter

jjudy@oh.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Jeff,

In my research OSHA rules and regulations do not pertain to Home Inspectors on a normal routine residential inspection.

Now if you were doing inspections on a commercial or government funded housing project the rules of OSHA may very well apply. As always check with the construction firm or engineer before entering any construction site for rules and regulations concerning hard hats, goggles, safety zones, etc. You will only gain their respect.

Please review, as an employer OSHA applies

Jeff Judy

President

Ohio State Chapter

jjudy@oh.nachi.org

John, no question about what you stated, I am backing it 1000% but: let’s be clear. on the issue, Taxes, OK, Complinance not sure?

Jeff Judy

President

Ohio State Chapter

jjudy@oh.nachi.org

If it is an employee you were talking about and just taxes, caution, employees are covered by both. sorry I was just asking a question?

Jeff Judy

President

Ohio State Chapter

jjudy@oh.nachi.org