Inspection Question Of The Week February 7

With the extra cllue and better picture I now know much more about the system. I have some ideas with this and am anxious to see what others say or see as the answers. This is a great week for questions. WAY TO GO.

1 Like

Jim,

Go ahead and give it another shot! Least that can be done with an updated pic and model number.

1 Like

Thanks made the edit

1 Like

Ohhh Good Try Guys! Unfortunately no winner this week. The answers are:

A1. Nails are not used on a 3 1/2" Versa-Lam LVL beam, only bolts or Simpson Strong-Tie SDW Strong-Drive Screws or other Engineer approved screws are used.
Versa-Lam® LVL - Beams & Headers - Boise Cascade EWP

A2. Besides the obvious no apparent power to the outlet (confirmed no GFCI tripped) look at the sealant used around the outlet box cover. This is a typical retail grade sealant that applies white and cures clear as seen at the fringe where the sealant has dried. These sealants typically take 7 - 14 days to cure depending on temperatures, rain, amount used, etc., and does have requirements for these factors in particular temperatures not to drop below freezing before fully cured. This sealant appeared to have been recently applied sometime before the inspection. If you look at the weather history for the area there were numerous days below freezing for the previous 14 days and plenty of freeze days after. The client was advised that they should monitor this for proper curing. Unfortunately for Buyers and warranties sealants are considered homeowner maintenance items and typically not corrected by the Builder during the warranty period unless it is brought up before closing. Yes it is also a nasty job!

A3. This is a concrete encased electrode used as a grounding electrode (GE) that should have a Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) attached to it. The GE, GEC, and clamp should be accessible and is not. It has been sandwiched between two studs. Although you can not see it in these pictures when looking up in the opening the GEC did not even appear to be attached. This condition is covered in NEC 250.68.

A4. It will take a total of 7 each 8’ sticks and leaving 58" left over (excess). The purpose of this question was not really to determine if you could do the math but instead to see if you were aware that dripedge should be lapped a minimum of 2".

A5. The system is being suspended by metal straps attached to the rafters and the evap coil access cover. The evap coil case is no longer safely accessible without removing the strap which can destabilize the unit. There were better places to strap to and Lennox might even offer horizontal suspension kits to prevent this similar to their 51W10 Horizontal Suspension Kit for their heater/air handler units. Also don’t forget to write up those bare straps. Those things can cut you up pretty good! In our area most filters are located at the unit so make sure your clients are aware of that.

Music Trivia Song

The movie was Heavy Metal and the theme song is Heavy Metal (Takin’ A Ride) sung by Don Felder. Also in the movie soundtrack is the Sammy Hagar Heavy Metal song.

Don Felder Heavy Metal (Takin’ A Ride)

Sammy Hagar Heavy Metal

4 Likes

Those were good Manny, really had us stumped.

I am kicking myself for this one.

2 Likes

Here this is a very common issue that I see on about 70%+ of the units suspended with straps. It all comes down to installing as quickly and inexpensively as possible.

Sadly on existing homes that have been around for years you can tell they never entered that coil case as the pookie and/or tape is so old. I’m sure those are some nasty coils once they open them usually to replace them since they were never maintained!

5 Likes

Great questions here. Really learned much about the details and will help in the future. You did some good ones here. Thanks for the very detailed answers.

1 Like

Emmanuel, I agree that the studs do limit access to the CEE but do you really think that the connection point to the CEE is completely inaccessible? Looks like you could get a socket in there the tighten the clamp if needed. The GEC not be attached wasn’t visible in the photo as you’ve mentioned.

1 Like

Hello Robert,

Yes you can tighten it but could you remove it, clean the GE and GEC thoroughly if needed, place it back in the nut and tighten it down? Can you visually inspect it for issues on all sides if needed? I suppose you can open up the gypsum board higher and they do make larger access panels but Ooops…

NEC 100, Part I

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.

You would have to damage the “finish” to do that. Not my house and not my finish so it is not accessible. Also from the looks of it they framed, sheathed the other side, and drywalled this side before they even ensured the GEC was attached or it came loose and popped out.

So now it is up to the Builder to make it “accessible”.

1 Like