Inspector gets favorable ruling

Read the ALJ opinion on the case and you will get a different impression. Photos from the inspection compared to photos after the complaint clearly show a portion of the roof was replaced i.e., metal shingle to standing seam and that roof repairs had been made post inspection. Also, the foundation repair performed by the seller caused roof buckling and separation at the chimney.

Then, I’ll go with you Chuck!

Don’t have time for any “light reading” , I’m back out the door… :wink:

Good replies and comments.

TREC had this judgement on their agenda. It was unclear if it was to dismiss the complaint on the basis of the judge’s recommendation or an effort to continue the case over the judge. The agenda item was closed. The case seems resolved.

The controversial Commentary to the SoP was tabled. I do not expect it to resurrect.

The inspector committee continues to work on SoP revisions. There are one or two people on the inspector committee who oppose the making the SoP any shorter and openly state they want all home inventory compared to modern code.

Regarding the case. There are several report writing methods to reduce risk and educate the client. The problem is the more you type the less marketable you may be if you rely on real estate agent referrals. Danged if you do and danged if you do not. Report writing is a skill with a balance between protecting the client and yourself.

Thanks for the update on today’s TREC meeting.

I remember chatting with a recent past chairman of the IAC in the hallway during a break a year or so ago. I mentioned that Texas has the largest (by far), most onerous SOP and Report Form of any other state or trade association. He just grinned from ear to ear and said “Yes, I know” as if that were some badge of honor.

Will post a new thread on this

Everything is big in Texas :stuck_out_tongue:

I could take that and run with it but best keep the board G or PG I suppose. :mrgreen:

I’m with Bruce. I get the same question on almost every inspection. My response includes the statement that it is unlawful and unethical for me to give that type of advice. There are other diversions, like “It’s a 3 bedroom and I need 4”, or “I prefer a flat lot as opposed to a hillside”, or many others. Besides, I may buy a house that needs lots of work, because I know how to work on it, but my client may need to hire contractors, etc.

Holy dead thread resurrection Batman!

“Not Responsible for Advice not Taken…”

And he’s not even from the lone star state either…