"Inspector Joe" HGTV

I anticipate more requests from clients for us to provide estimates for each repair cited in the inspection report. That is just how powerful any mass media “suggestions” are. Quite a coincidence that these online “cost estimate” services started cold-calling inspectors a few months ago.

1 Like

Because he is a contractor using the inspection process to ‘bid’ his work.
I guarantee you another contractor in the area will likely NOT agree on the “quotes” he gave!

5 Likes

I have done it since day one.

And I suggest everyone looks up the word “estimate”…then look up the word cost…two different meanings.

Maybe along the same lines of licensed states pushing for us to provide recommendations beyond providing insights into the damage and potential severity of damage. I know the national exams are large proponents for providing “recommendations” on everything in a report. The problems I see with this is we will never know someones tolerance for risk aversion.

You are in Florida, right?
Floridian inspectors screwed themselves by caving into the Realtors demands, this being one of them… THAT is why you have done them since day one. You needed to preserve your referrals from your Realtors that feed you!

2 Likes

You are incorrect.
I get possibly 2% of my business from Realtors.
Most come from recommendations from previous clients.

Not to mention, I believe and always have, that it is one of the most important parts of the inspection.
After all, if a client pays me XXXX dollars, and then I say you need a contractor to give you prices, exactly what are they paying me for?

The InterNACHI® member shall not perform or offer to perform, for an additional fee, any repairs or associated services to the structure for which the member or member’s company has prepared a home inspection report for a period of 12 months. This provision shall not include services to components and/or systems that are not included in the InterNACHI® Standards of Practice.

Don’t most state standards of practice read almost exactly as Internachi.

3 Likes

Yes, states that have standards. Yes there is a difference between standards (ethics) and regulations but you can apply either definition here.

1 Like

Oh yeah - glad you agree!

A client isn’t hiring me to provide cost estimates for things I find defective, they’re hiring me to provide a non-invasive, visual examination of the accessible areas of a residential property, which is designed to identify defects within specific systems and components defined by our Standards that are both observed and deemed material by the inspector. For example, recently found fire damage in a basement from arcing electrical, something that would have gone unnoticed if it weren’t for our profession.

If i’m looking to see how much it’ll cost me to replace my windows, I typically seek out estimates from a few window installation companies, not a home inspector. Of course, everyone can run their business how they please, if they want to no longer remain an objective 3rd party and provide a subjective opinion and bids, or the services of 3rd parties through the use of that stuff that Spectora is looking to put out.

4 Likes

In New Jersey, we’re prohibited to work on a home we inspected forever.

2 Likes

As some of you know, my wife and I own an antique store. We often get called to go to someone’s home and do a “pick.”

Inspector Joe to home inspection is much like American Pickers is to the antique “industry.” I am a big fan of American Pickers but they pay much more for items they are supposedly reselling, than what we have those same items priced at retail in our store. And it is misleading to the public. When we go do a “pick” the seller is wondering why we can’t pay $750 for a ratted out corn seed sign because they seen one like it on the show and Mike and Frank paid up.

I can’t tell you how many times we have had to tell sellers to come to our store and look at the 10 corn seed signs we already have in stock that aren’t selling at $150.

7 Likes

Good example Ryan. All these shows are “staged” prior to any filming and all prices have already been agreed to. It’s the “drama” that attracts the viewers. Same with this lame “Joe home inspector” show. Might bring in some lay person viewers, but it’s going to get a lot of laughs from REAL home inspectors.

2 Likes

Staged is right. All these shows required the buyers to own the home they are “buying” before filming. My wife and I were nearly on House Hunters but the logistics didn’t work out. After closing we had to leave the house “as is” so they could film a fake showing with the realtor. Then later come back to film us moved in.

This show he isn’t actually inspecting these houses for the buyers. They already own that house when they film the fake inspection.

5 Likes

Agree. And they already know what issues exist. That sure helps the inspection process!

1 Like

Disappointed in Home Inspector Joe show. Light on inspection and heavy on remodel. Doesn’t represent what 99% of what home inspectors do. Mike Holmes does a better job explaining what a home inspector should do.

10 Likes

Agree Randy. In their best interest, they should have left “Inspector” totally out of the title and narrative.

“ Joe the guesstimater remodeler” is more appropriate.

10 Likes

HGTV world HQ is 7 miles from my house. Should I stop by and show them what a REAL home inspector does?
Or perhaps put on some skinny jeans and take a sledge hammer over there and audition for my own show?

15 Likes

If “Inspector Joe” pukes out repair cost estimates as the Flipper shows do, he is influencing viewers’ price expectations for their own home repair needs. You can bet that viewers will be taking notes on the repair costs that Joe spews. I have been doing home repairs for preferred customers since the 1970’s. Every repair job is different. A number of extraneous factors influence the repair estimate, including ingress and egress to the location of the repairs, whether the home is vacant or occupied, and other intangibles such as the quality and safety of the neighborhood. Sometimes your gut tells you more about the pricing (or pricing premium or discount) for a job: Do I really want to work for this person? / How hungry am I? These factors, and more, largely account for the wide pricing disparities in the repair, remodeling, and handyman fields. I’m betting the Joe Show will be creating more lowballer homeowners than anything.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen the show… but I bet a bunch of new home buyers did.

I can imagine what this is going to do for what expectations our future clients are going to have for us and the industry.

1 Like