Who made his living making buckets.
When the market fell flat,
From the outsourcing of that,
His knowledge of that sector
Transferred to home inspector
and now this go getter
is better, better.

lame limerick but on point, I think.

It would appear that the vast majority are against the formation of a board in this poll.

1700 members in Florida and only 20 votes?

Which type of person are you?

A. One that makes things happen

B. One that watches things happen

C. One that wonders what just happened

Sorry I voted in the other poll…Still on the fence.

I worry about outsiders whispering in the ears of insiders. I feel the need for someone to look after the small independent company who had a dream about hanging up a shingle. I worry about big box nudging out mom and pop . As I said in a previous post “it’s the competition’s fault not Licensing”.

Just wish more old timers would chime in…

I know your reasons for doing it, but for the others, I was for licensing for the simple fact that you have to start somewhere. Ideally, you have everything in place so that when the law takes effect, so does everything else.
As is typical whenever the government gets involved, especially in this State, everything was done backwards.

Way back when Jeb was the Governor, I submitted a proposal that had all of this covered. It would have all been implemented in one swell foop, but no, that made too much sense.

Now we have a license, but nothing else. I for the life of me, can’t figure out exactly what is happening and why everything takes so long.

The short version:
A three tiered licensing system based on experience/training.
A SoP.
A CoE
An advisory board consisting of 5 members, three from HI associations, NACHI<,ASHI, FABI, one from Nar, one from the home builders/contractors, for legislative purposes.
Legislative purposes:

1. Adopt a SoP
  2. Adopt a Coe
  3. Enact legislation that all inspections, wind mit, 4-point, home, etc. be performed by only licnesed home inspectors

A disciplinary board consisting of the the HI members of the advisory board, which will handle any complaints with regards to home inspectors.

There, all done in less than five minutes.

I have more, but those are just the broad strokes.

A licensing law is nothing more than a union … controlled by the government instead of its members. The government appoints people to a board that it controls instead of the rank and file electing leaders.

Where the union traditionally defines the requirements for who will and who will not get the work … the government decides.

This is why licensing has failed and will continue to fail. It does nothing for anyone, just as most people say about the unions controlled by its members.

Instead of making the effort to empower those who pushed the law by creating a position for them on a licensing board … apply the same effort to have the useless law repealed.

It would appear (at least in this pole) that there is no “effort to empower those who pushed the law by creating a position for them on a licensing board”. As of this post, 80% of those that voted are against the formation of a licensing board.

This “poll” represents and means nothing.

Even if it did, a silent majority will sit and watch a licensing board form much as they watched a licensing law pass.

Also, there has been this nonsense lately about InterNACHI’s interests being drastically different, even opposite of its member’s interests. It’s simply untrue. 99+% of the time the interests of the member match the interests of the association.

There is a freak period of time just after licensing is adopted where they appear to veer to some. Sometimes experienced members want to make it harder for new members to get a license and point to InterNACHI’s proficiency at acquiring course approvals and grandfathering options and its efforts to fulfill its duty to make the process painless for all members… as opposing their position that the licensing requirements should have been more rigorous. I understand. But I can’t come out and say “Hey, I think your state’s licensing requirements should have been more rigorous so InterNACHI is not going to help you get a license. Do it yourself pal.”

Anyway, other than that freak period of time …or… when a member attempts to launch a competing association (Oh God, not another “we’re going to have high standards and no member benefits and everyone will want to join just to be around us” startup :roll:)… InterNACHI’s interests are in line with its member’s.

InterNACHI wants its members to be the best educated, provide the best inspection services to our communities, and achieve great financial success for themselves and their families.

If you still believe InterNACHI’s interests are not completely in sync with yours… what do you think a board made up of real estate agents, manufacturer’s reps, attorneys, contractors, insurance brokers, and a competitor wearing a cardboard Burger King crown is going to be like?

I think it would be better than the guy now who sits on his thrown with his crown and tries to belittle everyone else due to his lack of professionalism and confidence. So far you the only jester who thinks he is king. Do what you do great and leave the inspection business to inspectors.

…said the man who got to the licensing battle, the DBPR-approval battle, the mold assessor exemption battle, the Citizens battle, the grandfathering battle, the 4-point battle, and the CILB wind mit course approval battle… late… long after InterNACHI already won them all.

LOL.

You consider a piss-poor licensing law, a mini home inspection form for four points, jumping in bed with Citizens, allowing unqualified inspectors to perform mold tests, victories?
You sir are truly blinded by your own success!

• InterNACHI doesn’t license home inspectors. We help InterNACHI members get their licenses.
  • InterNACHI doesn’t determine what courses are needed to get a license. We get InterNACHI’s courses approved for pre-licensing.
  • InterNACHI doesn’t determine how many hours of continuing education are going to be required to renew your license. We develop those courses and get them approved for continuing education.
  • InterNACHI doesn’t set up giant pseudo-government insurance companies to approve 4-point forms. We create the form and get it approved for use.
  • InterNACHI doesn’t determine what governmental body has to approve wind mitigation courses. We develop that course and get that approval.
  • InterNACHI doesn’t issue mold assessor licenses to non-home inspectors who are unqualified to look at a home holistically… non-home inspectors who know nothing about plumbing leaks, roof leaks, condensation, gutters, grading, sump pumps, drywall, ventilation, downspouts, and moisture intrusion.We make sure that home inspectors, the one group of professionals who can look at a mold problem holistically, are exempt from having to procure yet another license and pricey insurance to offer a service they’ve offered for years and have the skill-set to continue to offer.

And yes… I consider those “victories.”

Well said…

Hey Russell, put on your over-sized, cardboard Burger King crown, fly over to France, and announce that you are going to help them push back the Germans.

Ssssshhhh everyone. Don’t tell him that WWII is over. LOL.

So the war is over? Ignorance is bliss, the war is just beginning. Your the third entity that has taken credit forthe wind mitigation success.

You did not make is easy for internachi members to get licensed, you made it so easy to get licensed that people became members, it was not about taking care of members but getting new members.

You don’t determine the courses? You just bragged about getting whatever you want. You can’t take credit where it fits and shrugg off the rest.

If you get what you want, and you were against licensing, why are we licensed?

That is a fair question (despite me having answered it over and over for many years).

I am personally against licensing. I have made this clear countless times on this very message board. However, in unlicensed states, among inspectors who hold an opinion on the matter, about 1/2 are opposed to licensing and about 1/2 are in favor of it.

Therefore, Joe Farsetta and a few others decided years ago that InterNACHI would not hold an overtly public, official opinion on the matter of licensing (provided the legislation was association neutral) and instead leave licensing to the members in each state. As a member of InterNACHI, you are free to fight for or against licensing in your state. There are even states where one group of InterNACHI members quashed legislation proposed and pushed by another group of InterNACHI members (Michigan comes to mind). Officially, InterNACHI holds a neutral position (provided the legislation is association neutral).

Now, once licensing is adopted and signed into law… InterNACHI does everything it can to help its members both procure and keep their licenses with as little fuss, muss, and expense to the individual member as possible. We are proficient at making post-licensing life anything but “association neutral” and confess that we seek to provide competitive advantage to InterNACHI members over their non-member competitors.

I trust that answers your question.

I have to save this for posterity…or posterior! :mrgreen:

As Russ has said, you do a great job getting people to join. After all, this organization does have a lot to offer, especially for the newer inspector.

I would really like to know why you are against licensing?

For all the GCs, how about we take away your license, then should home inspectors be allowed to build homes?

Because it makes everyone equal in the eyes of clients and drives prices down.

Home inspectors should not build homes for one reason only.

Most do not have the same years of field experience or qualifications that FLORIDA General Contractors have.

Just because the State wanted more money does not make anyone an instant professional.

If that is truly how you feel, then you need to “open” your clients eyes.