Inspector Mentoring/Ride Along in NJ

Originally Posted By: Mark Reme, PE
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi,

I am located in NJ and am looking to start a home inspection side business. I am a NJ licenced PE and have some experience in residential construction. I am also familiar with Building codes and most of the States Environmental Regulations, including Septic Design and Construction. I am looking for someone that is willing to alow me to tag along on a few inspections to gain some field knowledge. NJ law alows Licenced Engineers to apply for licences without having performed any inspections however I think that field experiece is nescessary in the training process, not everything can be learned by reading or taking a correspondance course. (I do not really want to take a full course because I would have to take time off of my regular every day job, and the courses seem expensive).

If anyone can help me out or provide assistance, please contact me ar mer_pe@hotmail.com.

Thanks!!!

--
Mark E. Reme
NJ Licenced Professional Engineer
New Egypt, NJ

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Mark,

Have you found anyone that is willing to allow you to do a few ride alongs with them?

Have you looked up our NJ members from the "featured inspectors"?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

If you wanna come up to NY, you can ride along with me. Where is New Equpt in relation to Paramus?

FU**ING Squidworth…HA HA HA !!!

ROTFLMAO icon_cool.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: nlewis

I live next to Paramus; it could be a 1.5 hour drive. Mark, Garden State ASHI is supposed have a list of mentoring inspectors on their website. I would give it a try.

Sure, be sure and use Garden State ASHI. They’re really eager to let new inspectors into the business…

Neal, when will your boss be posting that in addition to your long list of experience, that you are also a member of NACHI?

Just curious...

Joe F.

ROTFLMAO icon_biggrin.gif

Poor Neal just can't get a break!

Joe Myers

Joe F.,

Probably when the cows come home, or when Sponge Bob opens his own burger stand and sells his own Crabby Patties. icon_wink.gif

Joe F.

You forgot to mention that they will let new inspectors into the business but first they have to suck up to them and join, all "brown nosers" welcome. icon_biggrin.gif

Neal,

Is that a sense of humor I am detecting on your part? Wow, will miracles never cease! icon_biggrin.gif

Joe Myers

Neal,

Sponge Bob DID have his own burger stand. He sold "Pretty Patties". Hmmm... does that mean we'll be seeing that famous NACHI logo next to your name soon?

Joe

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Joe & Joe:

C'mon guys. Don't pick on my buddy Neal. He comes to every NY NACHI Chapter meeting (started by another ASHI member I might add). I like him. He can't help it if his boss is a misguided ASHI member. Don't judge a man by his employer. When I was an officer in the Army my commander in chief was one Jimmy "send some broken down helicopters to rescue the hostages" Carter.

Nick

Alright, a nice fellow NACHI member (Democrat) just emailed me and asked me not to draw dumb analogies between Jimmy Carter and ASHI. I agree Jimmy Carter was a good man. I meant no offence to the former President.

I won't do it again.............. ah hell I can't help myself:

Carter misery index: icon_cry.gif

Double digit inflation.
Double digit interest rates.
Double digit unemployment.
Weak military and gas rationing.

ASHI misery index: icon_cry.gif

Expensive yearly dues.
Expensive dumb exams.
No free online continuing education.
Weak marketing and few member benefits.

Ahhhhhh. I feel much better now. I apologize to members of the Democratic political party and the Carter family. I won't do it again.

Nick icon_wink.gif

Nick,

If I did not like Neal, he would be the first to know. You know that I am the type to be politically correct! Besides, I like Neal although his boss is one FU**ED in the head dude!

Glad to hear you have been making the NY NACHI meetings Neal. Nuttin' like the bad guy turning to the force! icon_cool.gif

Joe Myers

Neal’s actually an allright guy. I’ll promise to be nice…

Guys,

After the NY NACHI meeting I went to the Jersey shore with the wife to get away without the kids for a few days. I had a feeling someone, somewhere was talking about me behind my back. Wouldn't be the first time icon_wink.gif

I have to say that I really enjoy the meetings. Well worth the $20. If only the beer was included! There has been some quality info from the speakers and I have made some good contacts. The guys responsible should be commended.

I'll avoid the public discussion on the bossman and NJ HI Advisory board member.

Neal

Neal:

I'll buy all the beer you can drink at the September meeting. I'll miss (for the first time) the NY NACHI Chapter meeting in August as I will be helping another Chapter form that day.

Convert your boss to NACHI. We could use him.

Nick

Neal,

You can rest assured that I would not say anything about you "behind your back" that I would not say to you in person. icon_biggrin.gif

Joe F must be double hitting the zoloft, he is getting pretty mellow these days! icon_lol.gif

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: John B Cothran

icon_smile.gif I would like to ride with someone on a few inspections. Does anyone know any inspectors in Tennessee that might be willing to do that.

Thanks, John