Inspectors personality?

Originally Posted By: Brian M. Yochem
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Good Morning Fellow Inspectors:

This is my first post, but I have followed this forum for along time. It has been very insightful and helpful. I have a question for all of us. What kind of personalitiy do you have? Are you a “Matter of fact type” or do you try to make conversation, answer questions in a friendly manner and try to be very personable. Before I entered into the HI field, I had bought and sold 4 homes. All the Inspectors I had were very harsh and sometimes rude. I told myself when I entered into this I want people to first say “He did a real great job” and second "What a nice and professional man. What are your thoughts? icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Brian M. Yochem wrote:
What kind of personalitiy do you have? Are you a "Matter of fact type" or do you try to make conversation, answer questions in a friendly manner and try to be very personable.

Both. Sort of. This is the way it is, with humor and information. I don't make too much conversation, but get me started explaining something and I tend to go on and on ... then end with the simple truth ( ... so, because there is no means of escape or rescue, this bedroom now becomes Fry Room 1 and the other bedroom becomes Fry Room 2)

Quote:
All the Inspectors I had were very harsh and sometimes rude.

I try not to be rude to my clients. The agents and the seller? I try to be nice, until they get in the way too much, then, well ... I am there for my clients, not for them ...

Quote:
I told myself when I entered into this I want people to first say "He did a real great job" and second "What a nice and professional man. What are your thoughts? ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Same here. But "Great job" and "professional" do not always go with "nice". Most of the time, yes, but do not 'try' to be "nice", "try" to be "good and thorough", "nice" should happen automatically until there is a reason that "nice" doesn't work anymore.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Guest

Quote:
Chad Fabry is a good house inspector. I was in love with a house and was not inclined to see the home?s hidden and not so hidden defects. He did a very complete job of looking at the house and helping me get the facts I needed to make an informed decision. If we had not hired him we would have bought the house and inherited a whole bunch of repairs and expenses.

He knows what he is doing and he knows how to make technical information easily understood. I am still looking for house----but before I fall in love with another house I will have him take a look at it and tell me if it is a good buy.

A recent client wrote this to me and gave me permission to post it on my website. I didn't put it up here for the bragging rights, but to illustrate that neither the seller, the REALTORS or even my client found me "nice".

My client at the time of inspection was pretty disturbed by the "list" and to some extent I think that it's a personal affront to the client's judgement when a lot of discoveries are made. Our job is to inform honestly and thoroughly; sometimes that involves stepping on toes. Being effective may preclude nice but always make an effort at both. I try to get my jokes in before the insptcion starts because once it's begun there may be no other chance.[/quote]

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Brian,

I am one of those personable types.

I've been in front of customers in one job or another for the last 20 years.
In the course of this, I learned early that you can be great technically, but if they don't like you, they won't recommend you or use you again.

So smile alot, talk to them, answer questions until they finish asking.
Then smile again, say thanks and head out. They will remember you well and what more can you ask for?

Originally Posted By: tdove

People like people like them selves, i trie to fit in and still get the job done. icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I am cordial and answer any questions I can. If I don’t know the answer I tell them I don’t. I do not go out of my way to be entertaining but if they engage me I make an extra effort to be engaging back. Each customer is just like each house…Different. I used to be a facilitator so I can read people pretty well. Some want more information and less animation, while some want to show you how much they know. I make an effort not to let crap bother me when you get the customer or seller who wants to be a butthole. All in all it works very well for me and I enjoy what I do a great deal most of the time.

Chad Fabry wrote:
Being effective may preclude nice but always make an effort at both.

Correct. "may"

'Being effective may (but does not need to) preclude nice but always make an effort at both.'

I believe you said the same thing I did, in different words.

I doubt that either of us 'goes in rude', but that either of us 'could become' rude under certain conditions.

Am I correct?

I KNOW I have been forced to become abrupt and rude on occasion, but that is not my NORMAL way. I get better results (a better inspection and communicating information to my clients) 'not being rude' than 'being rude'. 'Not being rude' is 'being nice ... to a point'.

"You mean you are REALLY GOING TO BUY THIS POS?!"

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Guest

Rude might be a strong word. “Firm” like when your father stopped being “nice” might be better.

Chad Fabry wrote:
Rude might be a strong word. "Firm" like when your father stopped being "nice" might be better.

Agreed.

FIRM it is.

""You mean you are REALLY GOING TO BUY THIS POS?!", it was FIRMLY stated. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida