Inspectors wanted.

Need Inspection Quote for Plans and Specs Compliance Inspections.

Hello, We are Harvey J Lawrence & Associates, we are a Construction Consulting Company. We have projects all over the United States. Our company is looking for information for future projects. We have been recently informed of some possible changes in the inspection process for some of our clients. We are asking for some price quotes for conducting this new type of inspection.

The new type of inspection would require:
1. Being able to read plans.
2. Confirming Specs of actual work done in correspondence with the plans.
3. A more detailed inspection report.
4. More time spent at each inspection site.
5. Ten to Twenty Pictures.

We are looking for price quotes for three scenarios. They are:
1. Price per daily inspection.
2. Price per weekly inspection.
3. Price per critical stage or milestone inspection.

If you can do Plans and Specs Compliance Inspections please contact us with price quotes for the information given above. We can be contacted at www.harveyjlawrence.com please note in comment line Quote for Plans and Specs Compliance Inspections. We look forward to your response.

Thanks Nick. I am trying to figure out pricing for this right now. Anyone have any suggestions?

I could not begin to quote something like that unless I had more information such as how deep will we need to dig into the plans or how detailed of an inspection they need, the format of the report (I imagine it would have to work with their system), and so on. Each pricing would be different for each building if they really would want a detailed report. I guess they are not interested by the hour pricing?

I am gathering that the usual customers who have been receiving the DDN and GCI type of generic “overview” reports are becoming interested in (and are willing to pay more) for something of more substance.

This is our chance.

Instead of asking for their outline, perhaps we can provide them with our outline of what a substantial daily, weekly, or monthly report would contain…and cost.

I could see a daily two-hour review of yesterday’s work against the plans at $200 with a report. If I had to go weekly instead of daily, it would take me much more time to gather the week’s worth of information and report it…making it a $500-$600 job.

I am working (early stages) with HJL & A and was curious if anyone else has anything set up with them… Their contract basically reads that if I sign it, I agree not to do any work for or solicit work from Wachovia (current project) for 2 years (unless already w/ HJL & A)… I am not comfortable with that… a lot of things can change… WHAT IF Wachovia comes to me and wants to deal with me directly? cut out the middle man… “nope can’t do that for 24 months”…

whaddya all think?

Jeffrey,

Don’t pass it up just for that reason. First it may never happen. Secondly, most non-compete agreements are very difficult to enforce unless it directly involves proprietary or corporate priveleged information. If you are later approached by Wachovia then you can deal with it then.

For the benefit of the members, can you provide a little more detail of the arrangements with Harvey J Lawrence & Associates?

Make sure you are familiar with all local codes and ordinances. You can be liable if you OK something that is different than what is needed per county/city codes. I would stay away. Lots of liability here.

At this point the particular job is a Dental building being constructed and the inspections will be 6-8 visits very similar to residential construction draw/phase inspections at 250.00 per…

my issue is if it is going to take 6-8 months to build… why am i signing a 24 month covenent? 24 months AFTER the completion of this job?

not a code inspection… spelled out in the contract…

progress inspection only… not blessing anything… just percentages of progress… whats completed and what is not…

Jeffrey,

Not a bad deal you have going.

The non-compete is pretty standard with start dates contingent upon completion of the job/project. It is just another way of attempting to prevent someone from working with a previous/current client of theirs. I’ve seen non-competes for contract Engineers that worked for several months at the beginning of a multi-year project. After that they never dealt with the project again but also were required to sign a similar non-compete.

Like I said before, I would not worry about the non-compete as they are intended to prevent you from actively soliciting their clients for the same work. Besides, most are not worth the paper they are written on. No company can prevent you from accepting work to pay your bills. They can give you some grief if you start chasing their current clients.

What type of experience and background are they actually looking for? Are they doing mostly heavy commercial?

This is not a huge building… dental office… maybe similar to the Aspen Dental buildings that are popping up… I had a brief conversation with them… they found me… and talked about past construction inspections I’ve done… past commercial (mostly light) that I’ve done… and they sent me a contract. Hopefully it leads to more.

Jeff, can you email me a copy of that contract? I want to look it over for something else around here.

whis11 @ charter.net

Thanks

Jeffrey,

Good luck! Hope it turns into more for you!

Thanks Jeff and good luck!

Dear Sir/Madam, please send me a typical inspection including plans and specs so I may better serve your needs by providing you with a detailed and accurate quote.

I would guess that when the window package arrives (175k worth) and they don’t quite fit the rough openings, after reordering the windows etc. the claim against the “plan reading” inspector would be equal to about 175k. Not much of a market for a stack of windows that only fit one building out of 900. Proceed at your own risk.

I had to turn down two of these type inspections this week.

“while the intent of the inspection in not to assure contract or building code compliance, inspector shall bring to the attention of the lender any condition, in the opinion of and if observed by the inspector which falls below the normal standards of quality of construction. The inspector is not required to do an exhaustive inspection for the purpose of certifying the project as being in compliance with and/all applicable building codes, ordinances or other subjective standards. Billing inspection are not be be relied on as representations that teh project is free of defects, however, should there be a defect, in the opinion of the inspector, be observed and recognized as such, a written narrative describing such observation shall be included within the standard billing report.”

Not much more than that fellas… you can try to read more into it if you want. Not sure where you might see problems with windows sizes being the inspectors fault…