InspectorStudios offers InterNACHI members an exclusive discount.

(Nick Gromicko, CMI) #1

http://inspectorstudios.com/internachi/

0 Likes

(Ian W. Mayer, CMI) #2

But who the heck is inspector studios?

And uh ok, so they use a Wordpress templates. Fine and dandy and all, but it's not like those are custom sites. They're just filling in the blacks in a generic template.

0 Likes

(Jeffrey R. Jonas) #3

I would also be leary of any vendor that doesn't understand our industry...

[quote]

Your Investment

We don’t hide anything in fine-print at the bottom of the page. Assuming you’re charging between $200-300 per home inspection, you’ll make back more than your entire investment with us after doing just 4-6 inspections. Just a one-time, all-inclusive fee, for a limited time exclusively for InterNACHI members (until 8PM on September 23), of either $679 $979 or $979 $1279 (50% when we start, 50% when we finish) and no recurring costs.

[/quote]
I don't know about anyone else, but what I charge for an inspection IS NOT 100% profit.

P.S.... Ironically, guess where this paragraph was located? Damn near the "bottom of the page"!

0 Likes

(Jeffrey R. Jonas) #4

No "fine print" on the bottom of the page... just an entire long page to itself!!!

http://inspectorstudios.com/disclaimer/

0 Likes

(Tim Frie, Jr.) #5

[quote="imayer, post:2, topic:109451"]

But who the heck is inspector studios?

And uh ok, so they use a Wordpress templates. Fine and dandy and all, but it's not like those are custom sites. They're just filling in the blacks in a generic template.
[/QUOTE]

Ian, I appreciate you checking us out. I wish we had an earlier opportunity to comment right after Nick posted about us and introduce ourselves.

My name is Tim, I'm one of the co-owners of the company. I've been in marketing and design for the past thirteen years. I started out as a little boy in my parents bedroom creating websites to flip for a profit, and over the past several years, have had the opportunity to lead some pretty big website re-design projects.

I've worked with Canada's largest solar development firm, consulted for agencies who did the marketing for Adobe, Cisco, Royal Caribbean, and Intel, and oversaw countless website design and marketing projects for A/E/C firms, small businesses, law firms, real estate companies, and even some universities. One of my proudest accomplishments is seeing one of my past clients make the top 200 on the Inc. 5000 list after nearly 10X-ing her revenue over the past three years, with only five total year in business.

I'm also a licensed real estate agent and co-own a small real estate brokerage in Florida.

My Dad is a member of InterNACHI (with the same name, but he's "Sr.") and is about to take his final exam to apply for licensure in Florida. He's been in the construction industry for almost 34 years. His background is primarily commercial construction, but is a Project Manager for one of the countries largest publicly traded REIT's. He inspects close to 20 houses per week, and I actually encouraged him to join InterNACHI to monetize his skill-set.

I work with Jeff, who is actually one of my high school friends. He has two degrees in Integrated Marketing Communications and recently decided to go back to school for his MBA. He worked with me briefly at a marketing agency I started several years ago. There's also Joseph, who is one of the most brilliant developers I've ever met. He's done work for Troy Carter, one of the guest sharks on NBC's Shark Tank, which ultimately resulted in some of his work landing on the show.

Inspector Studios is a new business that was brought about through just researching the industry in an effort to help my Dad. Before we even put this together, I emailed Nick to ask him what his opinion was. We're not a big corporation - just four people (Myself, Jeff, Joseph, and our assistant, Kelsey).

*Re: Filling in the blacks *
I totally get it, Ian. The truth - which you already know - is a lot of designers now are doing exactly that: they're plugging and going. They buy a template and then recycle it for each of their clients. They swap out the contact information, change some keywords and pictures, then say, "here's your website!".

One of the things we don't do is just swap things out. I actually wrote an entire blog post about my frustration with "designers" and other providers in the home inspection industry that does this: http://inspectorstudios.com/an-open-letter-to-home-inspectors-the-one-reason-why-most-home-inspector-websites-dont-generate-business/.

The most important beneficial thing that we bring to the industry is really understanding what converts visitors - not just a technical knowledge of how to click buttons and make things look different.

Anyone can design a website with 1/4 of a brain and fingers that work. But, not everyone can design a website that is optimized to generate business.

That's why it's CRITICAL that I really have a good understanding of where my clients want to go. If you just want a prettier website, we're not the people for you and if pretty is all you want, then you're better served with one of the DIY programs that will cost you a mere fraction of what we charge. Without an understanding of what your website needs to do (e.g., double your business in 21 months, generate 15 new inspection leads a week, automate your email follow up on websites like Angie's List and Thumbtack), then I'm swinging in the dark.

The designers who just swap things out for their clients aggravate the hell out of me. I did that when I was ten years old in my room at my parent's house

That is not high-performance web design.

Wordpress templates can be abused like that. We certainly use them, but again, the value is in strategically developing them with custom modifications, integrating scripts that improve the user-experience, and knowing where to place certain elements on a page based on objective studies - not just our personal opinion on what looks good

0 Likes

(Tim Frie, Jr.) #6

[quote="jjonas, post:3, topic:109451"]

I would also be leary of any vendor that doesn't understand our industry...
I don't know about anyone else, but what I charge for an inspection IS NOT 100% profit.

P.S.... Ironically, guess where this paragraph was located? Damn near the "bottom of the page"!
[/QUOTE]

I am so glad you brought this up, Jeffrey.

If I believed that you had $0 overhead and every inspection was 100% profit, that's not even just a mis-understanding of the industry, but that's being outright stupid. It would be pretty lame though to put an asterisk and say "(*excluding SG&A, operational, and other marketing costs, of course)".

One thing it seems that a lot of home inspectors have trouble with is competing with the guy who does the "same thing" PLUS a Radon and mold test for, say, $120 less than your standard base rate. I actually wrote an entire guide on that for you guys: http://inspectorstudios.com/e-book-the-easy-close/.

Ultimately, it boils down to one thing: perception of value. When you lose out to that other inspector that's cheaper, it's because people see your value = to them, and that's not good.

One reason I put that comment on the page is because our competition is so much cheaper than us, but the service and value just isn't comparable. It's easy to unintentionally shop by price, and that statement I figured would put the total into perspective for you.

Some of our clients might have a goal to have four inspectors and do 20+ inspections a week, while others might be content with 5 a week. In either situation, the one-time investment is only a fraction of the total revenue you may generate as a direct result of our work together.

Maybe it's something I should considering taking off the page though, so I appreciate you sharing how you feel about it.

0 Likes

(Tim Frie, Jr.) #7

[quote="jjonas, post:4, topic:109451"]

No "fine print" on the bottom of the page... just an entire long page to itself!!!

http://inspectorstudios.com/disclaimer/
[/QUOTE]

You won't find anything about our pricing in there, Jeffrey, nor in our Terms & Conditions. Unlike other providers, there's no on-going fees, maintenance charges, requirements to host your website with us, or long-term commitments. In fact, I was just talking with someone the other day who was practically bragging about how one of his fees was buried so good in his contract. I was disgusted.

Disclaimers are really important when you're giving professional advice and selling from your website. In fact, I recommend that every single one of my clients - regardless of your industry - have a disclaimer for your website drafted by an attorney.

A relevant example: let's say you write an article about the essentials of inspecting a chimney. While your piece may have been intended for SEO or general information purposes, someone might decide that you're giving professional advice and think they can inspect their own chimney.

In the midst of them doing that, they break their arm or something. Maybe they crack their chimney. Who knows. There's going to be an attorney who likes to make people's lives difficult and try to blame your article for their actions.

But if you had a disclaimer, your *** is covered and it gets shut down a lot quicker.

One other common thing I've seen is no Privacy Policy on inspector websites. If you're collecting ANY personal information from your visitors - even as simple as a contact form - you NEED a privacy policy by law. Some states, like California, have special laws that apply to visitors and website publishers in that state. Here's a link to an easy to read summary about all of that: https://termsfeed.com/blog/privacy-policy-mandatory-law/.

0 Likes

(Ian W. Mayer, CMI) #8

Well, those are some good answers to the questions posed.

I'm not used to seeing vendors actually reply!

0 Likes

(Jeffrey R. Jonas) #9

[quote="imayer, post:8, topic:109451"]

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

0 Likes

(Jeffrey R. Jonas) #10

[quote="jjonas, post:9, topic:109451"]

I agree.
[/QUOTE]

Also, for those paying attention, this was the first time in a very long time** I** did not have to bring up the Privacy Policy subject! :wink:

0 Likes

(Tim Frie, Jr.) #11

[quote="imayer, post:8, topic:109451"]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've noticed that too here. We'd be a bunch of hypocrites if we preached communication and building trust and didn't do it ourselves.

0 Likes

(James E. Braun, CMI) #12

Can I see an example of a home inspection website you made?
I have over a good 10 year old 100 page site that ranks really well, but it is not mobile friendly. I need to upgrade but have not really found anything I like.

0 Likes

(Wayne K. Thurber) #13

Great attitude and replies. Much better than Robert Humphreys, lol.

0 Likes

(Alan Singer, #16000058241) #14

Spent some time with Tim on the phone discussing his plans and options. He talks a fair game but never followed through with samples of his work, actual web sites that would lend credibility to what he is selling?

0 Likes