Interested in starting in PA...What do I do first?

Originally Posted By: Chris Hengeveld
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve read alot of the posts on this board, and have to say I’m impressed with the knowledge members have concerning the HI business…

I have been thinking about becoming a HI for almost a year now and was wondering how to get started. do I take an online course or go to an accredited trade school or local college? How long does it take to become a HI? What about licensing and continuing education? I really dont know where to start...please help! ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

I live in PA...all input is welcomed you can email me at ChrisHengeveld@suscom.net

Thanks...

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Hello Chris,

What you should do first would depend on your background. Do you have any contruction experience? Remodeling? Electrical? HVAC? Framing? Siding, windows, door?

Giving that you have not given much of a background about yourself, I would think the first step would be to take the online exam. From there you would be able to tell for yourself which area(s) you would need to become educated on.

Joe Myers

Thanks for the reply Joe…

I dont have ANY construction experience, but was in electronics in the military, so I do know about current, AC/DC, amps, volts, Stray voltage, wiring diagrams, etc. And I am currently refrubishing my basement, studding it out and wiring for a downstairs family room...

What would you say to someone with absolutley NO experience in the construction, plumbing, HVAC trades?...I have Knowledge of those trades, and have done work on my own that has passed other HI inspections, but no "Real world" working experience....

I will take the online exam and let you know how I fair... ![eusa_pray.gif](upload://666dNZBTjxv415U6VjmA9ZydFQN.gif)

Chris,

There are many inspectors here that only learned this stuff in school, so I don't really think that would be a factor.

Sounds like you have a good start and I believe I would start taking some educational courses depending on your needs.

Like I had stated previously, if you are lacking experience or knowledge you can usually sign up for some pretty good courses at your local vo tech school. It sure would not hurt to look over the code books as you are taking the course.

Joe Myers

Joe,

thanks again....can you give me a link to what the PA requirements are?

Chris,

I sent you an email asking for your address, so I can forward you a copy.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: kpapp

Chris, you can go to http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/session.cfm?papowerNav=| scroll down to Bill Information and type in sb1032 and change the date to 1999/2000 regular season and hit the bill number button. Next page click on the first blue word “text” then scroll down to chapter 75. Seems like its a pain but it will give you Pa law on home inspectors. Might want to print it out for future refrence. Hope this helps a bit. Ken

If you dont have time to do it right the first time, When will you have the time to go back and fix it?

Originally Posted By: kpapp

Chris, You might also want to check out http://www.nachi.org/faq.htm

Hope that helps…Ken

If you dont have time to do it right the first time, When will you have the time to go back and fix it?