InterNACHI almost lost a member yesterday

Thanks for the suggestions about the monitor. I think I will get one of the types that attaches to a belt loop.

Allen,
I had the exact same thing happen last week. An agent had me inspect a brand new home for her Mother. Once in the attic it took a few minutes to figure out what the deal was, because a scrap piece of wood covered the vent partialy. The pipe terminated into the attic and stopped just above the insulation. It was a cold day so the ice hanging off the sheeting suprised me. I quickly figured out where the moisture was coming from and got out of the attic. I also had a small headache for a while. Good thing the agent spent the money on her mother.

Holly Chet…Glad your ok…Makes you think more about getting a monitor aswell…

Reason number 42 why I don’t “crawl” attics, but only go into those I can walk (on my feet) over the trusses.

I want to be able to get get out quickly, and be able to drop through the ceiling if necessary.

I’ve never had to do either yet, but came close once.

Congratulations on getting out safe. That was a close one. And thanks for the reminder to all of us to be careful.

Glad your OK Allen.

Be careful out there everyone.

I had that happen to me in a residential apartment building basement when the dope Contractor sealed the chimney with a solid concrete slab.
Lucky everyone did not die in the building.

I shut off the furnace and got out.

Wow !! I think stories like this really make you think about the hazards of are business, and a personal carbon monoxide detector is the best idea :slight_smile:

I think Nick should carry the “personal monitors” @ Inspector Outlet. Most of the “quality” ones that I have found are fairly expensive. I always have my TIFF with me, but it doesn’t get “whipped-out” (Ref: Blazing Saddles) unless I sense a leak. The personal ones that clip onto the belt are great, and become a part of the uniform (always on, always working).

http://www.professionalequipment.com/category.asp?id=87&start=21

GLAD you are ok!!!

I feel a price increase coming on - wow the risks we take - thanks for reminding us to always be cautious!

Wow - glad you’re Ok.

Glad you are OK Allen, WOW thats crazy!!!

Dale Duffy and I were at an inspection today. Gas was locked off.
Attic furnace flue was disconnected at furnace. We would have run the
heat as soon as we entered the home. Who knows what would have been the result.

Glad you made it out okay.

Jeff the TIFF8800 is not rated as a Carbon monoxide tester period, I’d recommend a rated personal protection device That can be worn on the belt>

http://www.professionalequipment.com/minimax-xt-maintenance-free-carbon-monoxide-single-gas-monitor-minimax-xtco/carbon-monoxide-detectors/

I had a very similar experience to Allens’ 10 years ago and bought a belt clipped alarm straight after

Regards

Gerry

[FONT=Arial]I am glad that you are okay![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I am testifying as an Expert Witness in an upcoming trial. I did an inspection “After the fact”. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]A man in his late 50’s and his teen aged son both died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]They were dead a week to 10-days before they were found. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]At my inspection, there were 17- lawyers from five different law firms.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][FONT=Arial][size=3]They represented; [/FONT][/size][/FONT]

1. [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Arial][size=3]The family of the deceased. [/FONT][/size]
    [/FONT] 1. [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Arial][size=3]The property owners.[/FONT][/size]
    [/FONT] 1. [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Arial][size=3]The fuel oil supplier. [/FONT][/size]
    [/FONT] 1. [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Arial][size=3]The Oil Furnace manufacturer.[/FONT][/size]
    [/FONT] 1. [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Arial][size=3]The manufacturer of the replaced Oil Furnace motor. [/FONT][/size]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Since we are going to trial so I cannot get into the details but…. I will say that you should make sure that all visible ductwork / flues/ exhaust vents are connected and vented properly before you start ANY gas / oil / propane “appliances”. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]{Check for “gaps” separations at the joints.}
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]PS:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Many of us ask the buyer or their Real Estate agent to make sure that all utilities are on and that the heat {in the winter} or the AC {In the summer} is “On” so that we can inspect it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]I did an inspection on a “Bank Owned, sold As Is property”. I asked that all of the utilities be turned on. Since the property is being sold “As Is”…. The Real Estate Agent who represents the bank had an absolute fit! [/FONT]

To make a long story short;

1. The water was gushing down the walls.
  2. The oil furnace was venting directly into the
    basement.
  3. The basement was filled with smoke! :shock:
  4. [FONT=Verdana][FONT=Arial]My client walked away from this “Jewel”.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Once again…. I am glad that you are okay![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Keep up the Good Work!:stuck_out_tongue: [/FONT]

Thanks for the reminder to be vigilant about safety, glad you made it out.

Gerry,

Do you replace yours every two years, or does it actually work longer? Shorter?

Jeff

Jeff, I don’t have the need to use mine these days as since I moved to Florida I never see oil or gas boilers and furnaces like I used to in New England. The one I still have I have owned for 8 years and used it for 4 years without issue.

Regards

Gerry

Thanks for the info. Even though $200 is cheap for “health insurance”, It still seems like a waste of funds for a “disposable” tool every two years. Now four years, that’s acceptable.

Home Inspections RI Anthony Divello 401-782-5589
http://captsized.inspectorpages2.com

stop look listen smell proceed
safety first

glad you are still here

How are the personal CO detectors calibrated? Do they have cal gas and do scheduled bump test and calibrations. I am not familiar with the personal detectors. As a professional FF, I am responsible for the calibration of 96 gas monitors throughout my department. I see the CO detectors that are built into smoke detectos and stand alone CO detectors malfunction all the time and do not trust them. I’m curious about the pager style CO detector. Thanks for the info.