InterNACHI Marketing Club

Consumers. When you think about it, our industry as a whole, does very little advertising aimed directly at consumers. When is the last time you heard a home inspector’s ad on the radio?.. and these days, radio advertising is very inexpensive.

A number of very good questions. I would be concerned also about committing to money prior to knowing what it is for. Perhaps I was not clear in that we are only looking to see if you would entertain joining a core group of InterNACHI members to promote InterNACHI and yourselves. The entire concept is still developing so the specifics are not firm at this time; however, here are some of the things we have started:

• InterNACHI has started the InterNACHI Marketing Department with graphic designers and an editor. They have worked on a number of projects for individual members while working on a couple of our test projects.
  • Two projects we have completed are the Florida Realtor Magazine ad and the Colorado Realtor Rally Booth. These projects have resulted in contacts from individuals, InterNACHI Chapters and national associations.
  • InterNACHI Marketing can continue to grow and work on local and regional projects as we are currently structured; however, Nick and I have had phone calls with a national association which could change the scope of what we are doing. More on this will follow as it firms up.
  • Thus, this survey to see if there might be interest in exploring something beyond the norm.
  • This survey is not looking for checks at this time; rather, it is looking for who might be interested learning more about and potentially jointing a core group of inspectors promoting InterNACHI and the Members of the InterNACHI Marketing Club.

Still very vague Ron,and Newspapers,Magazines,etc are downsizing to concentrate on the internet for a reason.

Are the ideas internet based? and if so they would need to be tied in with either companies that in some way control referrals,go another route such as draw inspections,or would need to be accepted as major review sites such as Yelp for an example.

If the marketing is to push NACHI rather than individual Inspector outfits the idea may go no where as Nick is already doing a good job with no help needed through donations.

Tie ins with RE offices is what Nick rails against when ASHI is brought up, so where does that leave us?
News letters?
Local ads…(seems that is up to chapters)

Still listening.

For the internet, I personally think inspectors should target FSBOs with Move In Certified (MIC) on the selling side, and traditional inspections on the buyer’s side. Every FSBO represents a seller’s inspection, the free advertising to all the local buyers that comes with doing an MIC inspection, reinspections on items repaired/replaced, a buyer’s inspection on the home the seller is moving to, and a possible annual inspection contract.

Here’s one problem with the FSBO thing. There actually needs to be a homeowner that still owns the home he is trying to sell. REO’s don’t count!

ditto I may get one seller that OWNS the home out of every 50 HI…sorry NIck the MIC would be dead around here…now back in 2005 it would be a huge HIT…just my 2 cents…:mrgreen:

Who owns and is selling the homes in your area then? Banks?

Maybe this is my weak point. But does everyone look for reasons things won’t work and go from there? Or do you look for positive aspects and build on those? Just wondering. I know there has to be a “realistic” aspect to the whole thing, but why not concentrate on what’s right and build on that.

I have begun to do this exact same thing in Florida. I met with a couple people of like mind nd aspirations and on a smaller people scale but larger revenue scale are looking at marketing. From what I see here it wil be difficult and pleasing everyone will not work, unless you break it down further such as FSBO, Realtors, Realtor.com, Magazines etc… I think with this many people it will only work if ideas are put forth, such as, we are running an ad on realtor.com and you can be 1 of 20 for the price of xxx.

But I also think that if its a huge success that the original people who ponied up the cake and took a chance should always get the right to first refusal, should the same opportunity come again. Example: it cost $1000 for Realtor.com ad. You need 20 people and get them. If it opens again, those 20 people NEXT time should get first shot at the right to first refusal.

I love it when spending $100 a month on marketing become such a huge issue. Those who wait for something perfect often wait a lifetime.

Where are you going Bob?

I am interested, but need to know more. Will this be at a regional level? National level? To feed my family from my profits, the 100.00 I spend a month is spent on me. I would think 100.00 spent on my marketing would benefit my business more than if it were put into a national pool where Texas, Florida, and California inspectors would be the only ones to benefit since their membership numbers are higher. We have a NJ chapter that now includes local ASHI chapters as a coalition in all of its events, because of weak membership here. I just wouldn’t want to get involved in anything that mirrors that.

I guess I just need to know more. :-k

Most home inspectors should be familiar with marketing concepts when starting any business. All markets are different. Perhaps deals with an email blast-sending company, such as “Listing Widget”. They target areas via zip code, city, even RE association.

Don’t you guys ever sleep?

Actually I sleep very little. Don’t know why. Too much going on in my lil brain, keeps me awake…

I have been kicking around an idea with a few other inspectors about a group marketing idea based around a chapter.

We pool money and advertise the chapter as the place to locate quality inspectors. Inspections gained are then passed on to the group of inspectors on a rotating basis with specialties taking priority.

For example if a client wants home inspection with mold and only one inspector offers mold then they get first bid at the job. You could also impliment a scheduling program to allow potential clients to hand pick which inspector they would like.

So far its just talk and ideas.

Interesting idea Ron,

Keep us/me posted.

“With all my brains, and all your cash,
we can make a million dollars,
you can bet your ***”…VanZant

Just this morning my company George Russell Professional Inspections had a spot on ESPN radio. There will be another between 4pm and 5 pm Friday the 8th. ESPN 104.9 Austin, Texas

I am really on the fence here. As Jim Bushart mentioned, WHO is this going to target? I am kind of with him on this as I don’t really want to toss money at used house salesmen and be in competition with the low ballers. Also as Bob Elliot and others are saying the concept “Might” have merit, but what is being divulged here is way to vague for me to toss money at. I spend a decent amount on my own marketing and some pays off and some doesn’t. What does, I repeat and repeat, what doesn’t, well I go back to the drawing board and try again.

We need much more specific details.

Jim

I’m interested in any marketing that pays for itself. Need to know more info.

To quote something Russell Hensel said long ago (it stuck with me)… “I’ll spend $100 to make $101 all day long” or something like that.

And that’s all good and well, but let’s not lose sight of the fact that many inspectors do not have the available revenue that Russell and others like him have, to be able to throw money at something. Every penny needs to count. I’m not saying not to invest in your companies marketing, but rather it needs to makes sense where it’s going.

As I have no other choice, I assume that this endeavor (whatever it is) will not be available to inspectors who serve areas such as mine (rural, 60 miles from significant urban). In other words, this is gonna be for the “big city” inspectors, due to population and density of Nachi inspectors.

As others stated, a lot more details are needed.