InterNACHI releases all new Wind Mitigation Inspection course with new form.

The State of Fl usually lets you take the same class for credit once every renewal cycle.

When are we supposed to be in a renewal cycle again? This year correct?

I do not believe there is any CEUs required for Home Inspectors this cycle.

Okay Thanks John. Just wanted to make sure.

Thank you guys for your time and all the hard work the was put in to this course .

Nope not yet, I did get my form to work on ipad sans pictures.

That’s because while we were sleeping, the politicians sold America to the highest bidder. It could be worse. :frowning: It could have been …

chinesemoney.jpg

What about applying for the Beaumont award?

Oh Yea! Got our form to work on iPAD WITH pictures. Signatures, Pictures all from the field… better yet get a 3G ipad and email from the field… best part no bulky computer! :wink:

Woot!

What you guys have done for the Florida inspector is way beyond compare. The diligence, kindness and professionalism the Shishillas have and share is awesome…I do mean awesome…

Thanks for all your hard work and kindness.

I did notice when Michelle had the android tablet it was all about the android, now she has an IPad and now it’s all about apple. I see the woman behind the curtain…

Russ as always you are too kind… I keep telling you we like what we do!

And, yes… this Android woman did switch teams and become an ipad girl… I am telling you this tablet rocks!

I am lucky that John spoils me… and supports my whimsical nature… :slight_smile:

i love my ipad also and like doing my mitigation form on it.

If you take it in a new year it applies

Thanks that is what I was wondering.

We just finished updating the Wind Mitigation course http://www.nachi.org/wind-mitigation-inspection-course.htm.

Special thanks to John and Michelle Shishilla of Honor Construction Inspection Services, who worked night and day with me for the last week.

The recently updated course teaches the student how to perform wind mitigation inspections, including how to complete the new wind mitigation form.

The roof calculations are still wrong.

From another post:

Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater than 10% of the total roof system perimeter.
Total length of non-hip features: ______ feet; Total roof system perimeter: _______ feet

Regardless of that, and this isn’t directed at anyone, I interpret the words above using a dictionary.
Length, width, height, perimeter all have meaning.
Since we are dealing with a mathematical formula, remember, we are trying to determine X% of the total roof length is non hip, and given the parameters set forth by the form, then that is how I come to my conclusions.

Now, to get a true percentage of the non hip portion of the roof, you would take the perimeter of the hip portion of the roof and divide that into the perimeter of the non-hip portion.

So now here are the examples.
Example A: total roof perimeter. The roof for our purposes would be 40 feet across the front and 30 feet across the side, just to make it easy.
On the back of the house we have a flat roof which is 12 x 15.

Your perimeter measurements will be, starting at the front of the house: 40+30+5+12+15+12+20+30=164 total roof perimeter.
Your non-hip roof length will be 15.
15/164=.0914 * 100= 9.14% non-hip which makes the roof a hip roof.
That is what the form says.

Example B:
Same house
Your perimeter measurements will be, starting at the front of the house: (40+30+40+30)+(12+15+12+15)=194 total roof perimeter.

Your non-hip perimeter measurements will be 12+15+12+15 = 54
54/194=.2783 * 100=27.83%

Now, mathematically, example B is correct and it is how you would get the actual percentage. You are measuring the actual roof area, sort of, as opposed to Example A. To truly get the correct area, you would have to include the pitch in the main roof as well.
Total roof perimeter of main roof (A)+Total roof perimeter flat roof (B). You have to separate them in order to get the perimeter of each.

Or, you could have example C
Same house and measurements.
Main roof area 30*40=1200
Flat roof area 15 * 12 =180
180/1200=.15 *100 = 15%

I have sent an inquiry to the OIR and will post the response here.
So far, I got an automated reply that Michelle Brewer is out of the office until Feb 3, 2012!