InterNACHI releases new Life Expectancy Chart.

Add modified bitumen flat roofing material. Manifufacturers say 10 - 15 years (more with aluminized paint coating or granuales), but the warranty is void if you install a roof deck (joists resting, directly, on the membrane).

People around Wrigley field don’t like me very much (many roof decks).

Plus, if you put a wooden roof deck on a flat roof, you automatically increase the cost of replacing the roof by 2 - 3 orders of magnitude (added labor. Remove deck, replace roof, replace deck.

Hope this helps;

I am wondering about the 5-10 year rating on caulking .
DAP states it will last 50 years ,so maybe it depends on the type of caulk.

Under “Decks” should composite material be listed?

Vinyl flooring 50yrs?? Is that in a non used closet?

Already there, at bottom of page.

On roofing…

You have asphalt 20

You should list them as…

3-tab shingles 20
Architectural shingles 30

Both - with proper ventilation.

I’m approaching midlife. But I haven’t been used much so I should last longer.:smiley:

:mrgreen::wink:

Alright guys, I’m trying to handle all these requests :roll:

I made the following changes based on what some of you said. Where it says (from) that’s what it was before I changed it. If anyone has issues with the changes, let me know.

Cast Iron Waste Pipe (above ground)  60+

Cast Iron Waste Pipe (below ground) 50 – 60
Laminated Veneer Lumber 80+ (from 30+)
OSB 60 (from 30)
Underground pvc 60+ (from 25-30)
Asphalt shingles 15 – 45 (from 20)
Vinyl floors 25 (from 50)
Asphalt 20 30 (from 15 – 45)
Vinyl windows 20 - 40
InterNACHI’s Estimated Life Expectancy Chart
Washing machine 5 – 15

I also threw this into the disclaimer at the bottom: “Items listed as lasting 100+ years, especially those that open and close, often fail prematurely due to misuse or overuse.”

I added this to the Panel category:
“Lifetime of any wood product depend on level of moisture intrusion”

Now, Marcel
I changed the title, as Nick and I think you are correct. You listed quite a few things that you think should be added, and I will look into them, but in the time being, do you have any knowledge about how long these things last? I’m pasting them below in blue for you or anyone else to comment on:

Laminate countertops
Hollow core interior doors
Solid core interior doors
Folding and bi-fold doors
Smoke Detectors
Metal Roofs
Wood Gutters
Composite decks
Pressure treated lumber decks

Also, attic fans

As always, your advice is greatly appreciated!

Rob,

Thank you for dedicating your time to this list.

You now have architectural shingles listed as 3 years. It’s 30.

Good thing I get paid :smiley:

Nice catch

What are you going to do with all those millions?

Just a reminder: Everyone who contributes to the Life Expectancy Chart is being rewarded with a gift, and I will be mailing them out personally. All posts made through 10/19 Have been sent their gifts, we’d love to hear from all of you! Thanks :slight_smile:

Pay for all the gifts you guys are getting in the mail. And buying out ASHI. Probably have a lot left over.

I think this should be added somewhere also:

"This report should be used as a general guideline only. None of the information in this report should be interpreted as a representation, warranty or guarantee regarding the life
expectancy or performance of any individual component."

And maybe this somewhere;

[FONT=Times New Roman]***The life expectancies of the components of a home depend on the quality of installation, ***the level of maintenance, weather and climate conditions, and the intensity of use. Some
***components may remain functional but become obsolete due to changing styles and preferences or ***improvements in newer products while others may have a short life expectancy due to intensive use.

[size=2]Hope this helps. :)[/size]
[/FONT]

Marcel it is at the bottom .

Note: Life expectancy varies with usage, weather, installation, maintenance and quality of materials. Items listed as lasting 100+ years, especially those that open and close, often fail prematurely due to misuse or overuse. This list should be used only as a general guideline, not as a guarantee or warranty regarding the performance or life expectancy of any product.

Good, thanks Bob, I guess I didn’t see it. :slight_smile:

I think most manufacturers suggest replacing smoke alarms every 10 years
and i would think laminate counter tops should be 20 to 25 years as I have rarely replaced one younger than that…other than for color change not wear…

I agree Jim, but on the average, I believe that it gets changed due to out of style or boredom and slight wear. Could last forever as far as that goes just like other components.
Hard to establish the life expectancy of a product on the interior of a house. It all depends how it get used and abused. JMHO :slight_smile:

How about the life expectancy of home inspectors?