Internet browser problem

Good idea!

I also found that the usb cell modem will not work with the driver for the wlan card deleted. I thought they were different systems. The wlan driver download (zipped) is about 57 megs so it contains many files.

I get the regular screen “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage”.

These issues are usually easy to fix or maybe an hour or so of looking around but this one is just weird.

One thing that can trip you up with this is that you can actually fix a problem but the stupid browser has done you a “favor” and went into “work offline” mode but at least then the error screen is different.

Click tools and deselect the “work offline” selection.

I have noticed that windows has changed the speed and quality of “recovery from hibernation”, probably after some updates that make the computer’s web connection less vulnerable when left idle for awhile.

We are basically working with antique software with a million update patches these days. It creates millions of jobs and expenses for pc users so it will never change and likely just get worse due to hacker and virus concerns.

That’s really bizarre. They shouldn’t be related at all. What if you didn’t have a WLAN card? This leads me to believe they’re both modifying the same file in Windows somewhere. Uninstall both. Try just installing the WLAN driver and see if it works. When you uninstall the WLAN card make sure it deletes the drivers.

Here’s what I did and I highly recommend it.

Take your laptop to your community recycling center that handles that type of electronic refuse.

Then, go to Apple Store and buy a MacBook. Problem solved.

I get this all the time, but the option does not exist!

ANd yes, I also had a problem after an MS update.

Joe F, I grew up on Apple, but I don’t know if I can deal with that ! :wink:

Elitist bicycle riding tree hugger :roll::p;-)

OK. So the thread starts out as a browser problem but appears to have morphed into a connectivity issue. To make sure it isn’t just a corrupt browser , have you tried one other than IE.? say Firefox or Opera ?

Will cop to being a bicycle rider. But only an EliteMGA-ist. And, having melinoma-loving Irish skin, I do appreciate trees.

Have you tried turning the Anti-Phishing Off on the tool bar?

Bruce, has happened to me before…same thing. Show that I am connected good with the wireless router, but no internet. After doing all but yanking my hair out, I found one of the kids unplugged the wireless router from the fiber optic internet connector. Make sure you are indeed plugged in all the way, and make sure the outlet is good. Sometimes those little wires get broken in there…just my 2 cents.

uh no, I forgot to try that, this is a fairly new pc just for use in the field and I had not really put much on it yet.

So, I loaded up firefox and it has been working for 30 minutes!

IE with wlan worked a few times but only for a few minutes.

Really a weird problem since IE works fine with a usb cell phone modem.

Thanks for suggesting that Steve!!!

Lawrence, yeah, I had everything turned off and tried all sorts of stuff, Dom had it traced down to missing DHCP data or something.

I’ll have to reinstall IE now and see how that goes.

thanks for all the suggestions, I knew this board would come through with some ideas, sometimes the obvious gets overlooked.

Added with edit:
Would you believe IE works fine now with the wlan card after doing nothing but installing Firefox…
The only thing I can think of is some windows registry items got rewritten during the firefox install.

update…

I rebooted the pc and now neither firefox or IE will get on the web.

The connection to the wireless still works fine as before.

My other laptop still works fine on the same wireless source.

Looks like a hardware problem even though the Dell guy said he could not prove it.
Since it is under warranty, I will be contacting Dell again and report back when I figure this out.

Try this:

Check and see if you have an IP Address confliction within the network. In other words 2 computers with the same IP addresses. If you do, just change the last number of the string.

Here’s how:

Go to Settings (where the Start is at bottom left) and select Network Connections.
Find Wireless Network Connection. Right mouse click on it and go to Properties.
Highlight on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties.
At IP address: , change the last digit of the IP address. Chose a higher number. Chances are the lower numbers are all taken. Click Ok and exit out of all the settings.

Now try to open your internet browser again.

If that doesn’t work:

Check the Internet Protocol Properties, check to see if the Use the following IP address option was selected. If it is, check the selection to Obtain an IP address automatically. Make sure your working desktop also has the same settings.

Good luck.

Can’t be the browser. When I was looking at your computer the card wasn’t getting the DNS servers. Without them you can’t connect. Sounds like a hardware problem which is why it’s working sporatically.

I already made sure he’s getting a dynamic IP. He also said he has the same problem on multiple networks so it can’t be the network.