Interpreting Basement Egress

Same in my area.

This is what I found. The only revision to the 2012 IRC.

Note:
Keep in mind, a home inspection is not a code compliance inspection
and that the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) is the responsible party
for determining/verifying code compliance.
The home inspector is using these standards, however, as a reference to help protect his or her client from possible future hazards.

Folks that say it’s alright because it was not required in 1959 only say this because they’ve never been trapped in a fire before! All fine and dandy until there is a party down the basement and fire breaks out upstairs. But how often does this happen, right? :thinking: Heck, no egress windows were required at all in the past. It’s okay not to have an emergency egress in the basement… just don’t play there with your kids :wink:

You would have to read all of the code and the code for the state. In Wisconsin for example 2 means of egress are needed one can be interior stairs. The other can also exit into a garage so both exits do not have to go directly outside.

There are also requirements of the distance between exits. In example if there was a door and window on the same wall but you would have to travel 20 feet in a 30 foot basement to get to them it would be considered as one exit.

Sleeping rooms are another story due to ventilation and natural light requirements an egress window is needed.

So my argument is, finished or unfinished, there needs to be an “emergency escape rescue opening” in the basement. In my unbiased translation of this requirement, it clearly says:
SECTION R310
EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE OPENINGS
R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required. Basements and every sleeping room shall have at least one operable emergency and rescue opening."

It does not state that “interior stairs leading from the basement to the living space upstairs is an acceptable EERO.”

Basements and sleeping rooms.
How is a flight of stairs from a basement to a living space the exact same thing as an window leading to the outside from a bedroom?

When I was on the phone with her she said “you must be new at home inspecting because you’re not familiar with Alaskan codes.” :rage::sunglasses: combative this one is…

1 Like

A bedroom in the basement would need an egress window or door leading to outside. The interior stairs would serve as another exit.

I understand the issue you have is determining if it is a habitable basement over 200 sq ft.

The ranch house is 1200sqft and the unfinished basement it exactly that same size foot print.

But does it doesn’t not state anywhere that “interior stairs serve as an EERO.” Plus, does escape mean outside or escape means into another room? Why would a window be an EERO cause it exists to the outside but interior stairs leading from the basement into the main floor be the same thing?

Huh, I thought is was 44":

Sorry I may not be explaining correctly. I was referring to 2 means of egress or exit. Not emergency exits.
Is your local code based on IBC?

Yeah I was surprised by that too.

Alaska uses the 2012 IRC and the 2018 IBC. Pretty confusing.
It also usea like the 2015 UPC 2012 NEC, something like that.
Alaska is very dumb and confused.
When you call the AHJ the opening automated message says “due to staffing and COVID we will no longer be answering calls.” Hahaha cool so now I can’t get my questions answered.

1 Like

Even the 2018 IBC says the same thing but is more clear on the requirements.

Irc 2015

R310.6 Alterations Or Repairs Of Existing Basements.

An emergency escape and rescue opening is not required where existing basements undergo alterations or repairs.

Exception: New sleeping rooms created in an existing basement shall be provided with emergency escape and rescue openings in accordance with Section R310.1.

It did not have any alterations or repairs. The only “alteration” was they attempted to frame in the mechanical equipment but never finished.
But I’m glad you found that! Now I know.

That is in 2015 was not covered in 2012.

Just shows that the councils miss defining things that they state.
As you have noted already there seems to be a lack of exits.

I read the thread again and now I see the reason you were asking.
If the bedroom of the one house had an egress window that would serve as the egress for the basement living room. It just states an egress in basement and bedrooms. Sounds like you interpreted the code correctly to me

1 Like

I would believe the concern is if the basement is large someone can be trapped because they are too far from the exit.

1 Like

You answered your question.
Built in 1971. What came first, Chicken or Egg?