iPad or Computer?

Hey all, new member here. I am currently in training to be licensed in CT. I need to get a new computer and know a lot of people use tablets like iPads to perform their inspections, should I just get an iPad Pro to continue my education and afterwards use in the field to perform inspections? What does everyone recommend? Any insight is appreciated I need to purchase something as soon as possible, thank!

I use iPad in the field and computer when back at home. Both have their benefits and depending on what software you use I’m sure you could get away with just the iPad for now.

2 Likes

I use iPad and iPhone during inspection with tapinspect. Works well with me so far but I am new at this.

1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Mateus!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

I found the iPad too large. I use my iPhone to inspect and the iPad to finalize my report.

3 Likes

I use an iPhone 5S (my old phone) as a camera. Could use a newer version but it takes good photos and if it gets damaged, no problem. When I get home I airdrop them to my iPad and use InspectorNexus for my/ reports.

1 Like

Phone works best for me

1 Like

A phone works great in the field for me. I may polish it up with a tablet once I get back to the office. I try to get 99% of the report completed in the field.

1 Like

Ipad in the field and computer back at the office; I use Horizon reporting and it allows the field report notes to merge in the cloud.

1 Like

Be careful to get the right stuff that is compatible. Most software will only let you use either iPad/iPhone MAC service and MAC version of the software, or you can get the PC android version that works on the non-apple devices. I don’t know of many software that will let you use both MAC and PC to edit the same report. I could be wrong, please chime in if your software lets you use both systems.

I use iPad in field for photos (iPad camera is ok quality, but has no flash) and to do part of the report, then when I get home I connect up via Bluetooth a full size keyboard and use that to finish the report on the iPad. Waaay faster than typing on the iPad with 1 finger. I can’t use my PC cause it’s not an Apple. I’m looking to maybe use a different software (currently using AHIT/InspectIT) and change away from the Apple devices. And just use a non-phone camera in the field, then pull out the disk and slap it in the PC and finish the report on my PC rather than on a tablet or phone device. Then I can put that camera on my new EyeStick to take pictures of inaccessible roofs.

1 Like