IR & Load centers

Here are two set of identical pic’s that I was playing around with. The breaker closeup has different temps and the overall panel has different temps. What would bother a person about these images. I did indeed change the E setting in the software to show the difference.

dfdf (1).jpg

IR_0894.jpg

IR_0893.jpg

dfdf.jpg

Did you measure the amps on phase b? Just curious.

No I did not

I might add I did call out the breaker in my report it is a 220 volt breaker feeding a kitchen range would you consider the temp as excessive

I would say a 20 rise leg to leg and 50 above ambient is worth investigating. :wink:

Your right and that was the point of my post 120 degree’s does not necessarily mean a problem but being a 220 volt circuit the load should have been more balanced and that was what caught my attention BTW the electrican did find a loose connection at the wall outlet to the kitchen stove. Gotta luv these cameras. This particular problem would have not been detected with out it as the wire at the breaker had no indication of excessive heat but would have at some point in the future. In my past life this would have been called preventive maintenance.

The Naysayers didn’t bit for this one. Maybe they read Jim Seffrin’s “standards” document he posted!?

Me thinks they are getting wise to me I have been known to run a trap line;-)

Wouldn’t an IR thermometer have told you the same thing?

Yes, to a point.
They do not have the emissivity adjustment for the accuracy you are able to get with the Camera. Some just give you a setting for “dull” or “shiny” settings.

As you can see with Charlies scans, incorrect E setting gives incorrect temp readings and delta T.

I have used IR Thermo’s for many, many years. If you pay very close attention and have a good memory, you can pick up on things but you will never establish the patterns we use to identify what type of anomaly we are scanning.

Ahhh, I see, so which pictures depict the incorrect settings again?

Bk the E valve was adjusted within the software just to give an example of how the E setting can effect the temp. If you would notice I have a close up of a breaker and a distance image of a panel the distance to the target will also effect the temp. In this example the higher the E valve the lower the temp reading and the lower the E valve the higher the temp indicating one needs to know the E valve of the target if the temp is the main concern as in electrical.

The same as David I used a Thermal gun for years no comparision takes to long for one. Second to hard to place the image of that little dot from the infrared gun in a report :wink: Third have never had a electrican question my ability with the camera they seem to understand a picture. Fourth gets me more business when a client has viewed one of my reports. That in its self was worth the price of the camera. I don’t understand why you and Duffy both are not doing electrical scans Duffy keeps saying not enough rain in AZ to warrant a camera surely you have electrical or are you guys still burning kerosene:D

Well then, just adjust your E setting so you “change the temperature” to a safe level and leave the temperature set there. ;):smiley: