IR0280 thermal camera

Daniel the hacked E4’s are available. There are forums that will walk you through the procedure.

An example of a hacked E4 capabilities.

2 Likes

Bert I agree 100% with everything you said however my friend I do believe new ones are capable of being hacked :slightly_smiling_face:

Was that the only part of the duct work sweating in the entire house? Did you end up scanning the rest of the house after you found this?

This was the main Plenum closest to the air handler, but It was also happening on another plenum feeding another section of the home.
Home was vacant, I cant remember if I turned the a/c on, or if it was already running, this was about 6 months ago.
What were your thoughts?

Just seeing what folks do with their thermal toys.

1 Like

:Just seeing what folks do with their thermal toys.: :+1:

I’ve had a look at this brand, they and their resellers seem to dominate the thermal imager category on Amazon. Actually, PerfectPrime seems to be one of their resellers too with their IR0018 and IR0019. But I wanted a lower resolution thinking it will do the job but clearly wrong thinking, I was too concerned about my budget.

Thats why I think this brand is great for the money. (sorry Flir enthusiasts) For $550, it far exceeds the Flir C2 and C5, and rivals the E4, and dare I say the E8, as far as sensitivity, just not as clear on the background image. But like I said, the sensitivity will pick up a single drop of water, hidden on carpet immediately.
Place your hand on a wall for literally 1 sec, and you can see the residual heat in the thermal image immediately as well.
When I first started using it I wondered if clients would think anything about the image, but as long as you place a normal photo with it side by side, it is still impressive and easily distinguishable.

Daniel are the images you posted typical? I did get better results with a C2.

Yes, the image quality is not as good as the flir, because of the msx, but the thermal sensitivy is WAY better than the c2 or c5. It has the 76k pixels, just not the image overlay.
I bought the c5 at the same time, and compared side by side. (And sent the c5 back) Looking around at simple objects (like a water drop on carpet), or at the front of a freezer, I wasn’t impressed with the color variation of the flir. It was too blended. With this, I could see the coil behind the freezer panel very clearly, but with the c5, it kind of blurred into one overall color.
The $1k one will also pick up individual nail heads in the framing. (See photo)
Same with the dog photo. C5 was not as detailed, even just showing how the tips of his paws are hotter.
I decided the thermal sensitivity is more important than image quality, as it makes things unmistakable

20210308-082453

I purchased the Seek thermal as a smartphone plug in https://www.thermal.com/ (Amazon refurb).

It’s nice as it comes with small hard case, so tucks away in a corner of my bag.

The 320x240 resolution works out great. However: I strongly miss the FLIR feature of taking a black & white visible light picture, to give context to the IR image.

Flir needs to step up their game. They’re trying to milk the IR camera market for every last drop of milk. They bought Extech and ran it into the ground. The support is nonexistent, comes down to replacing broken with another broken product. And if you don’t like it, hit the road jack :slight_smile: That’s how they treated my case. US companies used to take pride in their products, but I see less and less of that.

2 Likes

Agree with all comments about Flir. I tried the C5 and it’s okay but I bought a Testo from Amazon and man, the Germans make a hell of a infrared imager. Surprised no one mentioned Fluke?