Is all cloth wiring a concern?

Going by all of the incorrect information in that statement I can only imagine how many other potential safety issues in an average house you have wrong, or just don’t understand.

I wonder if his post can be construed as spam…as the web site goes to an insurance company. :wink:

I would vote ‘no’, seeing as they are posting under the name of “Florida Statewide Ins”, I would expect their website to be an Insurance site. They are not deceiving anyone, assuming they are actually an Insurance entity posting, and not a disgruntled HI with an agenda.

I had noticed. Hopefully it will show up on Google when searching for Florida home insurance… karma.

We have had this discussion prior and Brad and I are on the same agreement. I have also read that Blog and it is filled with errors.

Some of that pictured may be aluminum wiring.

No Aluminum in the OP’s photo. That is a tinned copper multi-strand ground on a large appliance branch circuit.

Here is the question I posed to Citizen’s chief underwriter and his response:
We met last year when you spoke at our local ASHI chapter meeting and seminar. We appreciate your appearances there.

I have been having some discussions with other inspectors regarding “cloth wiring”, listed on Citizen’s Four Point Form. There’s confusion about what the term means.

My question for you is, what, exactly constitutes cloth wiring.

1. Early non-metallic cable had individual conductors wrapped in a jacket with cotton braid impregnated with varnish or a tar like substance. Most of this early wiring had rubber insulation over tinned copper. The copper was tin coated to protect the copper from sulfur compounds in the rubber.

2. Around 1950, the cotton was replaced with rayon in the jacket around the conductors. The rubber was replaced with thermoplastic insulation on the individual wires, which no longer required tinning of the copper. The jackets were rayon (cloth.)

3. In the early 60’s, the jackets were replaced with thermoplastics.

I’m going to assume that #1 is considered cloth wiring.

My question is, would #2, which has a cloth jacket, be considered cloth wiring?

If the answer is no, perhaps a better description of the wiring you are seeking to identify on the form would be “tinned copper with rubber insulation.”

Thanks for your help.

Mark Cramer

RESPONSE:

Both # 1 and # 2 would qualify as cloth-covered wiring for us.

I read some of the comments online in different forums, and would like to point out that Citizens won’t insure risks with active knob & tube wiring, any wiring with deficiencies or hazards present or in poor condition/not in good working order and aluminum branch wiring that hasn’t been remediated with AlumiConn or COPALUM.

The mere presence of cloth-covered wiring, in good condition, should not ordinarily result in a refusal to insure by Citizens.

I certainly don’t think you should take the harsh critiquing too personally but you should reevaluate your blog. There are numerous errors but I also think you may have some useful information that many inspectors may not. Take the criticism here and research further to include proper information. Information as placed on your site only confuses inspectors that don’t know but are looking to educate themselves and find the correct information. You could also be a great resource in education the underwriters if needed.

Can you tell me what type of wiring this is and is it compliant with Florida code and ok for homeowners Insurance?