Is Illegal Electrical Work Fine?

No Michael.
Actually, non unionized trades work continues in residential housing sector.
The fact is, construction businesses register with the RBQ to acquire the right to work in a trade related field. Building owners can inquire about the jurisdiction.

RBQ: In view of protecting the public, the RBQ mission is to ensure the following:
A: the quality of the work and safety of the buildings and facilities.
B: the professional qualifications of the contractors and owner-builders.
C: the integrity of the contractors and of the owner-builders.

You keep missing the point because you can’t deal with these two salient issues.

If no harm was done why was he punished so strongly?

Should we punish home owners who install their own pot lights too?

Michael, I understand and accept your points in your argument, an exchange of diverging or opposite views, as valid. You are a very capable thinkers. Always a pleasure.

There needs to be at least two sides to a discussion. I side with the judge.

Talking points.
1: At the moment we do not know no harm was done unless you can provide evidence for the sake of this discussion.

2: As for homeowners. Homeowners can do anything they wish to their home.

My position, liability. (state of being legally responsible for a service under consumer protection laws.) I refer back to my point (1). During a situation such as this, just because it appears someone installed the pot lights correctly does not mean they were correctly wired and the pot lights installed according to code and the manufacturer’s instructions.
As well; that individual may move onto other electrical installations seeing he or she thinks they feel qualified.
As for the judgement.
I suspect the judge was sending a message to trades persons in Ontario. Work related accidents has been a thorn in the side of the province for some time and I suspect the judge was sending a message to trades persons loud and clear, "confine yourselves to the work you are/where/have been trained / certified to offer CONSUMERS.

Much thanks for your position on the subject; Is Illegal Electrical Work Fine?

hopeless

You shouldn’t feel that way. I pullin for you all the time.

And I live in hope that someday you will get it.

You know the old saying, while some may agree others may not.:slight_smile:

Best Michael.
Keep well.