Is it allow to convert a garage into a bedroom? it is Legal?

Dale is correct. The other aspect of a garage is proper removal of water from the front and sides. To install a bedroom all areas need no moisture.
As far as Codes.
Don’t you think people would care more about the health of the child in a bedroom of a garage?
If it is going to be a bedroom than all areas have to be addressed just like a normal home and then the garage is no longer a garage.:smiley:
This requires complete control of water run off, control of hydrostatic migration and separation of all Heating equipment.

As Jim eluded to earlier, who is calling this a bedroom? The Realtor? The seller? The tax-man? Does the listing call it a bedroom? Are they calling it a bedroom to sell at a higher price? This could be a significant property tax issue, and depending on circumstances, I may advise my client to check with the building department, and the tax assessors office.

If I was inspecting that home, and I had no outside (supplied) info about the home, it would not make it into my report as a bedroom. It is just another room. Perhaps an office, kids playroom (safe-no windows), gameroom, storage room, etc.

JMHO

Hi Chiun:

I do flooring inspections, and have seen many flooring failures in converted garages. This is because most garage slabs are not poured with a vapor barrier under them, and it is not thereafter coated with a true vapor barrier membrane.

Sincerely,
Dale Collins
www.flooringinspector.com

FYI - It would be prudent to view the municipal inspection records and permit information for this property. They could contain information on remodels, upgrades, addition, renovation, change-outs, etc. which were not a part of our inspection process, nor were they performed by our company.

OR

The property shows signs of remodeling, renovation, change-outs or addition after the original construction. This work may or may not have been performed by a licensed contractor(s) with permits and code inspections, etc. We recommend verifying with the seller permits were obtained, and getting copies of these. If not available or if not on file at the city or county, etc we suggest you request an inspection by the local code authority to determine if the work was done properly and conforms to building standards applicable at that time.

I understood but the OP indicated that it was not done properly siting egress.

Is it a bedroom? In Citrus County FL, the property appraiser considers it a bedroom if it has a closet. I don’t know if that’s the case where this house is but either way as stated by others to be used as conditioned space it would need all the moisture intrusion protections of the rest of the house, just as a converted basement would.

I would point this out in my report and let the buyer decide.

There was no closet at all, only the 4 wall, several receptacle and a heating source, no windows at all, only entry door.

Hi Guys:

Sorry for the double post. My first one did not appear right waway.

Sincerely,
Dale
www.flooringinspector.com

Then you need to check with the property apraiser in you area. Here they would call that a colset or store room.

A garage’s purpose is for storage and for an automobile storage it cannot be made a room to live in because it would need to have first of all 2 emergency exits and windows and no appliances the intent would be for an auto but if iy is going to be used as a habitable place, a permit needs to be obtained and must meet the habitable space criteria,?? It is very expensive when you are forced to come in compliance and no permit exists, this would not pass my inspection sincerely Jose A. Guillen ICC :slight_smile:
:wink: