Is licensing worth the effort?

If you check, you will see that there are still proctored exams.

The University of Phoenix is THE BIG ONLINE degree granting institution in the US. Anytime I have mentioned it to an academic, the laughter and derision begins!!! Do some searching online about this place…it is quite interesting!!

We offer proctor exam where required. Just tonight I announced our zillionth online inspection course approval from the State of Illinois and we proctor every exam for every online course in Illinois: http://www.nachi.org/even-more-illinois-approved-inspector-courses.htm

The real problem with requiring that every inspection course exam/quiz be proctored is that it harms and may even lead to the death of consumers.

Always spinning, aren’t you?

How many regulated jurisdictions accept INACHI certification as the ONLY requirement for licensing?

Up here, CanNACHI has been claiming they are not part of nor associated with INACHI…care to comment?

MICB and its CMI, the industry’s highest designation (by your claims) was not accepted for licensing in British Columbia…comments??

Answered in order asked:

No, but I love when you say I’m “spinning.” It is equivalent to you admitting that you lost the argument and have nothing left. I look for it like a race car driver looks for the checkered flag.

All of them. At least all of them that use only private certification for licensing. Most of the rest use our courses but need to generate revenue and so also require the applicant file with the state and pay a fee.

InterNACHI isn’t. I am.

It wasn’t rejected. MICB chose not to apply for recognition so as not to compete with our sister group CanNACHI which was a much better fit and approved.

My take on this after receiving an unsolicited E-mail…CanNACHI was created by yourself when you finally understood that neither INACHI nor MICB designations would never be accepted in BC…plain and simple, isn’t it. Same as in Florida…create another org simply to slip people in!!

Organizationally, it would be much simpler just to have one large org such as INACHI have rigorous and defendable accredited designations without having to resort to more “SMOKE & MIRRORS” as more jurisdictions regulate!! Florida did not look like a simple fun task…comments on the boards show this!!!

Correct. But it isn’t to “slip people in,” it is to get them licensed and in compliance with their own particular local regulation. The “Inter” in “InterNACHI” stands for “international.” We aren’t gong to change anything at InterNACHI for a small, local jurisdiction. We have sister associations and chartered chapters for that.

You point to Florida… that is a perfect example. The state asked us to set up Florida InterNACHI to be used for grandfathering. The state told us what they wanted. Everyone got grandfathered. To prove critics like you wrong (a hobby of mine) who suspected it was going to be complicated, I even got myself grandfathered through Florida InterNACHI and today I am both a licensed Florida mold assessor and home inspector… and I did it from 2,000 miles away. It was simple. Also, the state of Florida immediately licensed InterNACHI as an education provider. Also, the state of Florida approved our online pre-licensing program. Also, the state of Florida began approving our free, online courses for continuing education: Free Continuing Education for Florida Home & Mold Inspectors - InterNACHI®

I know it might be painful for you to accept Brian, but InterNACHI is the most government-approved, recognized, accredited inspection association in all of human history… and we are being awarded more approvals, licenses, and accreditations every day. Get used to it.

While this is certainly helpful to NACHI and its members, striving for “government approval” is like entering a race with the burning desire and commitment to finish in Fourth Place.

Every once in a while, I suppose it is necessary to lower the bar for “government approval” to help inspectors who are less fortunate than others and are controlled NOT by their consumer markets but, instead, by politicians who know little to nothing about our industry.

Never forget that a lunch meat sandwich with an “acceptable” quantity of rat feces meets the same “government approval” standards that many licensing proponents covet. The truth is (and always will be) that the consumer prefers, and we should always strive to provide, much more than “government approved” standards when we are dealing with the public. I think that NACHI has proven this ability in this regard by its popularity in areas where inspectors are not controlled by politicians and those who buy them. Meeting minimum “government standards” is easy. Ask the guy who checks lunch meat for “acceptable” levels of rat poop.

Inspectors with the desire to control other inspectors … and product/service providers who need the government to mandate what others would never buy on their own … hold “government approval” at a much higher level of appeal than does the public-at-large.

Beautiful thinking.

And to expand on your lunch meat sandwich analogy, do any makers/sellers of lunch meat sandwiches hang up big signs that say “Buy our Sandwiches. They contain a government-acceptable amount of rat feces.” ? Of course not.

Bragging about being merely licensed is ridiculous, and why InterNACHI’s voluntary requirements are in addition to, and above & beyond minimum licensing.

The real problem with licensing is that for some inspectors… it goes to their head. They run to Wal-Mart, buy a frame for it, hang it on their wall, and make their wife cook them their favorite meal to celebrate the fact that they are now competent… at least in their little dream world. Then they start going through InterNACHI’s advanced inspection courses which slaps them in the face and wakes them up.

http://www.nachi.org/bicycle_internachi.htm

Nick:
You took the thought right out of my mind! I was going to use the graduated license as an example for young teenagers that can text and drive at the same time.
Very talented but very stupid all at the same time.:frowning:
Even a license to kill before they are old enough to understand the pain and damage they can afflict on someone.

Got any stats…Have you ever asked clients if they felt HI should be regulated?..No…I thought so!!

BRIAN. STILL WAITING;

HOW MANY INSPECTORS ARE THERE IN CANADA?
HOW MANY INSPECTIONS ARE COMPLETED IN ONE YEAR?
HOW MANY OF THOSE INSPECTIONS LEAD TO MINOR / MAJOR CLIENT COMPLAINT?

It would be a good idea to establish a need for your dangerous schemes before inflicting them on everyone else, don’t you think?

\

Well, George. I see that time away from these boards still hasn’t changed an ancient mindset even when it should be evident that LICENSING IS COMING!!! WATCH CAREFULLY!!

What other trades/professions SHOULDN’T be regulated? Are you tired of HI and think you’ll hang a shingle as a mechanic or dentist after passing an unproctored online test?

Read about how a** licensed** person who was at the top of his Group caused a lot of innocent people to go to jail .
This licensedperson destroyed a lot of people lives.
This is just one of many where a licensed person has caused a major amount of grief .

My opinion there is no proof where it is necessary to spend a huge amount of money licensing Home Inspectors.

From what I read the BBB puts home Inspection a way down the complaint list .

I would love to see some facts showing where the Licensing of Home Inspectors is needed.

You should read the article and comments!!!**

"When it comes to autopsy reports, the field of pathology can be a subjective one. It’s based on research and opinion, and it’s especially controversial in Canada, where there is* no formal training or certification process.** Only a handful of practitioners in Ontario are entrusted with the job — and they’ve learned by doing."

[size=2]From a comment:
[size=4]
"*[/size][/size]It proves that there are supremely arrogant and un-qualified people in fields that are extremely serious and yet they do not need to pass formal standards testing…yet their opinion can destroy your life because we put a lot of weight behind their so-called expert opinions"

[size=2]IMHO, the guy had some mental and judgement problems…shouldn’t have had the job.

I guess, Roy if this fellow is representative of all doctors in Ontario, no one would ever go to one!! Do you use the services of a licensed, regulated doctor or are there some good witch doctors around that you trust with your life???
[/size]

Nova Scotia is a lot smaller then Ontario and I expect it has a lot less doctors then Ontario has Home Inspectors .
Looks to me like you might want to look at your medical system in Nova Scotia and spend less time worrying about Ontario Home Inspectors.
This is just a small sample of what is going on in your home province .
Brian What is your opinion of this

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-12-17/justice/canada.doctor.charged_1_woods-agent-mark-steinberg-tiger-woods-athletes-with-performance-enhancing-drugs?_s=PM:CRIME

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-12-17/justice/canada.doctor.charged_1_woods-agent-mark-steinberg-tiger-woods-athletes-with-performance-enhancing-drugs?_s=PM:CRIME

http://canadiancriminallaw.net/?p=143

http://www.quadrant.net/cpss/discipline/discipline.html

http://www.halifaxmedicalmalpracticelawyerblog.com/2010/03/whistle_blower_nurse_fired_and.html

Roy:

Thanks for showing the boards what a piece of crap you are!!!

You clearly can’t read and understand what the article said so when I point it out, you use innuendo, imply and insinuate that that Nova Scotians are unprincipled and lawless low life…how low can you go!!! OH I GUESS WE ALREADY SAW THAT WITH WENDY FORSYTHE WHOM YOU, OH BIG MAN, DROVE FROM THESE BOARDS!!!

There are posts here where you say that Nova Scotians are very friendly, nice people and then a few months later, imply the province was backwards for being the last to have full Sunday shopping…who are you tonight…Jeckyll or Hyde??

You gave an example from the medical community that was supposed to show that licensing/regulation doesn’t work. The article you presented showed 2 things clearly:

1. that all individuals are not stable and trustworthy at all times…that has nothing to do with licensing/regulation/supervision…not one thing…it happens many times in life. For example…
    http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2008/07/04/police-officers-charged-in-drug-bust-released-on-bail.aspx

2. The article states that training/certification is not available nor required for coroners…Maybe a bit of this may have made this man a better coroner and prevented him from ruining the lives of many people!!!

Read this many times until you can understand what it says:

"When it comes to autopsy reports, the field of pathology can be a subjective one. It’s based on research and opinion, and it’s especially controversial in Canada, where there is* no formal training or certification process.** Only a *handful of practitioners in Ontario are entrusted with the job — and they’ve learned by doing."

WOW Brian has come through again He just loves to come into our home and belittle us.
But when some one shows him up he cries like the BABY he is.
He can dish it out but does not like it when it comes back.
Brian you are a parasite who uses others all the time .

Your Jealousy of NACHI is showing

Heard it all somewhere before…Wait!! Wait!!! It was from you!!! LOL

G’Night again, Roy!! Don’t go to bed mad, Roy, just go to bed!!