Is my fee too high?

I have found such buildings to be easier than a house of comparable size simply because the office buildings won’t have six fireplaces, ten bathrooms, 30 sinks, two kitchens (two refrigerators, two freezers, four disposals, four ovens, sixteen cooktop burners), six furnaces, six cooling condensers, and four water heaters. Consequently, I could charge much less for a 13,000-SF office building than I could for a 13,000-SF house.

My inspection fee for my STANDARD inspection on a 13,000-SF house is $2,999, so I’d probably quote the office buildings at $1,999.

There are many good picture resizers out there. I use Image Resizer, one of Microsoft’s Powertoys.

Would not these buildings be 2 1/2 storeys??? At least that is what we call them back home!!

yes… technically 2.1/2 stories…

Commercial inspecting is very different from inspecting homes from a business point of view. Before I give the client a price, I first find out what their expectations are, what they want to learn about the building. Most of my commercial clients are very experienced with buying commercial buildings and they know what they want. Others have no little or no experience so I guide them through the process.

Based on the information you provided, I would expect to charge around $400-500 for a typical inspection. Inspecting warehouses is about the easiest money I can make. It usually does not take any longer to inspect a 20,000 sq. ft. warehouse than to inspect a 2,000 sq. ft. house.

As an aside, there are certain things to be aware of when bidding commercial work. You cannot inspect certain items such as boilers, elevators, underground storage tanks, and fire protection in most states unless you are licensed to inspect them. Experienced commercial buyers understand that those will be extra charges. You may coordinate the activities of others as part of your inspection and charge a fee for the service. Often, the client will make separate arrangements for the items requiring special licensing. If they are covered by any of the FM member companies, those items will be inspected by FM. Even then, if you have experience working with FM your client may ask you to work with FM on their behalf.

We hear a lot in the home inspection industry about ASTM standards but my commercial clients are more likely to ask for inspections to be done according to FM standards; even if they are not covered by an FM company. The reason is that FM standards usually meet or exceed any other standards. A building that qualifies as an HPR can get insurance coverage at a very substantial savings.

In larger work such as high-rise office buildings and manufacturing plants, we are not generally called “inspectors” for the work we are doing. The more common term is “Owner’s Rep”. We may be doing more project management than actual inspecting.

As yet another aside, it is very common in the commercial inspection world to do work by Divisions. For example, many of the engineers and architects in my area know that my so I sometimes get calls asking me to do a Division 15 or Division 16 only inspections (they may also want Division 26 which was formerly under 16 and perhaps 27 and 28 which were formerly under 13).

If potential clients get my name from someone else and do not know me personally, they may ask if I can handle one or more other divisions. I tell them that I can coordinate all the activities for all Divisions as their Owner’s Rep. It is not uncommon to have a potential new client say something like I have everything covered except xx, xx, xx, and xx but once they know you are experienced as an Owner’s Rep, they may ask you to serve as their Owner’s Rep coordinating the activities of the others who have already been brought into the project. On large inspection projects, I am usually able to give clients a fixed price. If there is more than inspection involved, I quote an hourly rate.

The bottom line is that there is a lot of commercial work out there. It is interesting and profitable work. In some respects, it is easier to do commercial work than residential. The best part is that it is also usually more profitable.

This has been very educational

Warehouses’ (with no mechanicals) are much easier to inspect than a fully conditioned warehouse.

I base my pricing on mechanicals and rooms. I would have came way down on my pricing for a barebone warehouse.

And what does that have to do with anything?!
Most new stuff has more issues when it’s put in an old building.

I’ll do the HVAC for $500.

It goes without saying, you can not price a job without seeing the building. Houses are houses. If you don’t have a listing to look at, just look down the street. There is another house just like it (or plan flipped).

Commercial is quite another thing.

Speaking of a newbie buyer, the Inspector in this case is new to the commercial game as well (no offence intended). This should also be taken into account. You can not expect to perform at $.18 sq. ft. as some can. So give her a break and learn.

Commercial should expect to pay. $500 is nuts.
If it were me, I would try to figure it by the hour (excluding the learning factor). And be generous to yourself.

I did a 6000 ft office Doctor/Dental the other day, had roofer and HVAC onsite, 1600 total bill and clients were very happy

I keep on getting outbidded on commercial this year and I am only bidding half money of what William gets. I know I am not going go any lower, I must need to work on my sales pitch.

Different country and area.
I would never compare myself to another region.

George-
FM - ?
HPR - ?

Not familiar with the terms, sorry . . .

Maybe you need to raise your bids and stand firm, state your top in your field, list what you can do and what you are capab;le to offer, got mold we can help, need IR we can help, need repairs, we can help with construction inspection as well. need an energgy audit , heck we do that to… We are here to help you.

Someone understands the basics of a great business! Excellent!

Russ…while you are waiting for George to respond I’ll weigh in. FM or FMGlobal is Factory Mutual, a Commercial Risk management company similar to AIG. Over the years they have developed standards that have become defacto standards for how to design, construct, manage, insure commercial and industrial properties to minimize risk and manage loss prevention of all sorts (fire, flood, theft, etc). I think FM was the driving force behind sprinkler systems in the early 1900’s. HPR is an acronym for “Highly Protected Risk” properties or those that have put FM standards into place.

I thought FM was “frequency modulation” and HPR was new generation for “hipper” as in “I’m hipper than you.” :margarit:

Ah, thanks, Mike!

And I thought it would be like Homeowners’ Property Review . . .:wink:

I was in high tech for a long time - we refered to FM as “frigging magic”

I like that one. Gotta remember it.