Is our Government a little Two-faced?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22732661/
Intersting read.

Very Interesting.

I guess it’s all in how the word “torture” is used. I’m not sure anything you might find during our own (US or Can.) military basic training, or even hell week in a college fraternity is “torture”. But I suppose some would.

You know, it might end a lot of the rhetoric in the press if both of our governments came up with a definition of “torture”.

Not that either of our govn’ts will use it or even read it, but for the point of discussion, I’ll pose one here as a rough draft.

The inflicting of physical or mental pain and anguish to the level of permanent disfigurement or death.

Doesn’t the Geneva convention regard long delays between a death sentence and the execution as ‘torture’?

I guess long appeal process in the US might make us guilty. :frowning:

tom

Sitting through most television shows today, or having to listen to someone elses idea of music set at a volumn slightly above the pitch of irritation (rap, hip hop, etc.) could be considered “torture” by most. The idea is too subjective. I subscribe to the philosphy that is inflicting a little pressure on someone to reveal information that will save one of ours or one of our allies lives i.e. the case of connecting someone up to a car battery…Red goes to positive and black goes to negative. Ive been waterboarded during Survival training. It hardly constitutes torture. It scares the crap out of the person for a very short duration but frankly 10 minutes after it was over I had basically forgotten about it. Having trained some Saudis, anything involving water, be it training or simply taking a bath scares them. We have thousands of our own people (yes including women) who have gone through this training with no long term effects.

He was 15 when he was taken to Cuba .
Not getting any information from the USA authorities makes one wonder.
I expect they Americans would be upset if Canada had a 15 year old American in Jail and not allow him to be visited, and defended,the lack of information being released looks unusual.
six years now.
…Cookie
</IMG>

Roy… whether he was 15 or 50, it is alleged he threw a grenade that killed an American soldier. That makes him a combatant and subject to whatever the Geneva Convention allows. He has a legal defense team, his basic rights are not being violated. I read in a blurb somewhere that most of his family were supporters, either financially or physically, of Al Queada, which in the eyes of U.S. intelligence makes them terrorists. This would be why he is not allowed familial visits.

just my 2 cents + GST
Brian Jones

I am not judging on his guilt or innocence .
Like you I have very little information.
It just does not seem write to me to be kept in solitary confinement for this length of time .
Incidentally yes 15 years old does make a difference in I think both countries laws.
I also think in both countries you are Innocent till proven guilty.

…Cookie

We have very little information, yes. One thing we were given is the attack took place in Pakistan. What are their laws? Is this a civil. criminal,m or combative case?

Since it might be under the Geneva Convention rules, was he wearing a uniform of a signatory nation?

etc…

tom

“The term ‘unlawful enemy combatant’ means – (i) a person who has engaged in hostilities or who has purposefully and materially supported hostilities against the United States or its co-belligerents who is not a lawful enemy combatant (including a person who is part of the Taliban, al-Qaeda, or associated forces); or (ii) a person who, before, on, or after the date of the enactment of the Military Commissions Act of 2006, has been determined to be an unlawful enemy combatant by a Combatant Status Review Tribunal or another competent tribunal established under the authority of the president or the secretary of defense.”

How about we go by the standard of:

“If we had an airman down in Iran, and it was being done to him, would we have an issue with it?”.

If as you say, it’s not a big deal, I wouldn’t expect us to protest anything other than his detainment. After all, it’s not torture right?

A Canadian citizen, Omar Khadr is a traitor, and his friggin family lives in Toronto at taxpayers expense!

Omars father was killed in a US bombing raid, his father was very close to Osama.

His older brother was a combatant, until caught then recruited into an CIA operative so the story goes. Now he lives with the rest of the Khadr in Toronto.

Do you really think those Taliban, Al Kada and others follow the Geneva Convention?

Heck No!
As far as I am concerned, with what little I actually know about the events surrounding the capture of Omar Khadr, I feel the U.S. is acting with considerable restraint. Were it me, I would have shot the SOB on thre spot!

Let’s take this thread OVER HERE to the non-public area

Hang him. His mothers and sister wear the Hajab and were spouting all sorts of anti western stuff everytime they had a reporters micraphone shoved in their face.

Hey seen any good cartoons depicting Allah? :wink:

The cartoons.

http://www.combateffective.us/images/starpower/cartoons.jpg