Is Paint Flammable?

Neato camoflage piping

ummmm, lolol

I don’t think latex is.

What piping–I don’t see no piping–do you see some piping??

For technically minded.

Based on the ASTM E84 FSI, three classes of interior finish are specified. Class A (or I) requires a FSI of 25 or less. For Class B (or II), the FSI must be 26 to 75. Class C (or III) has a FSI range of 76 to 200. Materials not meeting the upper limit of Class III are considered unclassified and not permitted where the flammability of the material is regulated. The requirement for the SDI is 450 or less for all three classes. The primary purpose of the fire-retardant treatment of combustible materials is to reduce the flame spread index classification. Values for flame spread index can be found in Galbreath (1964), American Forest & Paper Association (2002), and the publications of listing services such as Underwriters’ Laboratory, Underwriters’ Laboratory Canada, and Intertek. Nonfire-
retardant paints and other thin coatings can have a negative or positive effect on the flame spread index. The effect is usually not sufficient to change the classification unless the classification of the uncoated material is low or marginal. For example, the classification of brick, concrete, aluminum, and gypsum plaster goes from FSI of zero unfinished to 25 with the application of a 1.3 mm alkyd or latex paint or one layer of cellulosic wallpaper (IRC, 1995). The FSI classifications of 150 for lumber and various types of plywood and 25 for gypsum wallboard do not change with the application of a 1.3mm alkyd or latex paint or one layer of cellulosic wallpaper (IRC, 1995).

Complete document at: http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2006/fpl_2006_sumathipala001.pdf

what did the inside of the electrical panel look like?:smiley: