Is probing ground for a footer a valid test?

Originally Posted By: jsmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m working on my first paid inspection. It’s a 120 yr old house that has had the foundation replaced with concrete poured to ground level and 2 rows of block. I suspected the footer wasn’t very deep so I probed the ground and I can go under the footer at approx 14 in deep. Is this a valid test? and should I write it that I suspect the footer isn’t deep enough or that I know the footer isn’t deep enough? I appreciate any help I can get on this.

P.S. great message board, I've learned a lot by studying it.

Jon

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I didn’t see the letters P.E. after your name, so unless you are an engineer, I wouldn’t write it down as a defect.

Welcome to the board!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Jon Smith....hmmmm...is that your real name or an alias?

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jpope

I think I can safely say that you went a bit beyond the scope of a standard home inspection. icon_wink.gif

Simply make the recommendation that the buyer review all permits for work performed and suggest to the client that they verify that all permits were signed off by the appropriate authority.

This way you're remaining within the bounds of an HI and not suggesting that you are more qualified than the P.E. and/or architect.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jsmith3

Thanks, guys for the replies. I thought I was going beyond the scope but I don’t want to miss things, either. It looks like amateur work, I probably shouldn’t mention that either, but I doubt there were any permits.

There is a good reason you didn’t find P.E. with my name, I’m not sure what it is.