Is there a good HI report software out there?

Originally Posted By: rray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

rmoewe wrote:
Enough of the thread drift.

Uh-oh. Richard must be applying for the job of moderator. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif) It doesn't pay well, Richard. I already checked.

rmoewe wrote:
The one thing that I find funny is that, I have not done an inspection for that realtor for over a year, and she calls me to inspect the home that she is buying for herself. I think that is a little strange. When I asked her why I had not heard from her, she said that all she had done was listings. So, I told her that I do pre-listing inspections as well.

It's not funny at all. Realtors are taught to "List to Last." Your come-back was very nice.

rmoewe wrote:
I think maybe she called me because I sent her a mailing about a week before. That put me back in her mind, maybe she had forgotten about me????

I have had many Realtors who only use me when I send them mailings. Therein likes the root of my saying, "Be persistent and consistent." Even if they've used you 50 times, they still want to feel special, so don't forget them.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: cmarshburn

I use 3-D software for my report writing, it’s configurable and pretty easy to use. I have the full version which includes 1)Office manager 2)Report writer 3) A Custom Form Studio in which you can customize your form to suit your business…logos, special applications, etc. and also has a word processor ( it’s kinda lacking though ). Then it has a cost advisor if you give estimates, which I don’t. Oh I also have the pocket pc version which I can’t use because of that *@$% toshiba E-740!!!

Originally Posted By: charper

Guys,

I’ve used several different software programs trying to find the best. As far as I am concerned HomeGauge is the best!. You can take digital pics and customize the software anyway you want. You can also upload your reports to the web for the RE agents. Saves time and money. Go to www.homegauge.com for a free 30 day trial. I think you will love it.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

I don’t want to be a moderator!!! I have a hard enough time taking care of myself. icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: tallen

Porter Valley —inspectvue R3 is the only way to go.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

3-D icon_exclaim.gif

R3!!! I have used both and for me Porter valley is it!!! icon_twisted.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Your delirious icon_wink.gif Luv ya though

Looser icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

What are your yearly cost for updates? I am serious cuz I do not know.

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

If I were not a franchise with proprietary software, I would use Porter Valley Software. I’ve played around with everything that I can find out there, and I do think PVS is tops. I’m considering using it as my field notes and synching it with my HomeTeam software to create my reports. I love its text, its disclaiming statements, its CYA statements, and the way it uses pictures. It is fine, fine, fine.

You knew there would be a however, though, right? However, it might be considered pricey for many, and, since I would be using it on a handheld PC, I also would have to splurge for that. So just getting the software and a handheld PC would set me back about $1,500.

Is this another example of "You get what you pay for"? Could be. Only your hair stylist knows for sure.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Wrong!! Russel, I had a 3d sample version and I told them so, and Porter valley sold me the whole thing for 750.00. Of course that was 1.5 years ago. It was well worth the money. I hate to be rude ,but the people in my area like the R3 much better than the online reports or the 3D.

oops! Almost forgot I do not use my handheld except for voice notes.
I am still in the old world of check lists .I for one am scared s#!t of doing onsite reports. I do my check list give my clients a verbal summery of the problems.Then I go to the office and produce the report.It is then delivered in 24 hrs or less.

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

How is that rude, Todd?

I don't do onsite reports, and I've been kind of leery of recording any information on anything other than paper--magnetism erases tapes, stray electrons result in bad pictures or voice recordings, etc. Paper is, well, paper.

But at some point I just need to make the jump, with practice first, of course.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Tood,

Buy a Dell PDA and you will have no problem using Porter Valley. I use mine on every inspection. It is the only way to go. It comes complete with all the checklist built in for you. When your are done put the card in a reader, transfer, then add your pictures, and you’re done. Ready to print. icon_biggrin.gif

I have an Ipac loaded with the R3 software ,but I just do not see myself doing onsite reports. I always find myself looking stuff up or whatever and I don’t think I want my clients or their agent sitting around waiting for my report. So I do my best to have it done and in their hands the same day or night as the inspection and if they like I deliver a hard copy the next day.

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Todd,

I never give on-site reports. I don’t use a laptop just the PDA. Sometimes you have to add narratives to the software and that take some time , not much, but enough. It also takes my printer which is very good about 10- 15 mins. to print. I don’t think that you can annotate the pics. from a PDA either. Delivering the reports is a part of marketing, in my book. icon_cool.gif

Hmm,

Maybe I will give it a try.

Thanks Richard icon_smile.gif

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Todd,

If you have a yearly subscription its $99. That includes at least 1 update throughout the year possibly more.

If you don't subscribe yearly (I don't') then updates are $150 per.

I was looking into upgrading but it depends on how far behind I am, this just adds up to quickly for me.
How bout your software updates, are they comparable?

rkirk wrote:
I love its text, its disclaiming statements, its CYA statements, and the way it uses pictures. It is fine, fine, fine.

Is this another example of "You get what you pay for"? Could be. Only your hair stylist knows for sure.

The wording is so good in the software because of the person who wrote the narratives. His name is Keith Swift and Lorne Steiner developed and made the software. Keith is from England ,so he knows how to speak proper. He also has a Ph.D.. in english. Im with you Ruessel, the wording is excellent. He is also a home inspector in L.A., so he knows how to CYA, and very well I may add.
This type of software can make someone who dose'nt know s#it about home inspections, look great.

Chris,

Lorne Stiener the Porter Valley Tech guy sends out an e-mail about once a week with just standard user info.
The program is updated about every 2 -3 weeks sometimes more. It depends on what the customers want. For example one of the recent updates was suggested by an Inspector and gave us the ability to use multiple libraries. So you can have 1 set up for apartments another for single family homes and one for commercial.
Tech service is $ 195 a year and it includes all updates.
I like the fact that every time I have had a question if Lorne does not answer the phone he calls you back within an hour sometimes in minutes.

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: John Harrison

I just got a trial copy of the new

7.0 3D Inspection System

I havent been all over it yet but it seem to have everything and be able to do much of what you are saying Porter Valley is able to do now.

www.3dinspection.com