Is there a need for a new inspection book?

Anyone see a need for a new book on residential home inspection/maybe with a CD which includes a lot of ancillary information, hot links, report narratives and various tables etc. ?

I got one from the NACHI library but thought it was just OK. Written by an engineer with some inspection experience. There are a number of books out there…

I know there are at least several NACHI members with books started, but I’m not sure there’s really enough of a demand to make the writing pay. What do you think?

I purchased dozens of books and videos from different sources when I first started and I found Carson & Dunlops PRINCIPLES OF HOME INSPECTION, Systems & Standards the most helpful as the starting point. Its a good primer on home inspection: it covers all the systems, it has great checklists for common defects and defeciencies, and just enough info for each defect that you don’t feel like you’re getting bogged down in any one system or type of defect (for someone new), and it makes good use of illustrations.

I’m now entering the lists of defects in my software writing program.

But as to your point about report narratives, how about starting a new “Report Narratives” place to post in the Members Only section of the message board? Members could post samples of their narratives, while others comment or make recommendations for improvements. This would be a great way for all of us to sharpen our report writing skills and help our clients.
I always appreciate it when members take the time to post their narratives throughout the various threads, but it would be easier to find some of these helpful posts if we had a section dedicated to it. I think that it would be a great learning tool for those of us that are new members.

A great idea!
I would be glad to contribute.:smiley:

It’s a great idea but how would it work?

Narratives would need to be organized an a manner which would allow those looking for them to search by condition. Seems like one way, which as already somewhat in use, is for posters to describe the problem in the thread title. Posters replying could then add narratives to their posts.
Those looking for narratives to address specific conditions can then search threads one by one in th4e back pages of a tech forum like Plumbing, Electrical, etc., or use the search feature

Setting up a separate forum would involve making a list of conditions which would never be complete. It would become disorganized over time.

When I thought I might be writing a book on Home Inspection I began copying my entire library of narratives onto a CD (which was to be included with the book). Since it was already organized, I thought inspectors could use my narratives as templates from which they could customize their own.

Looks like from the poll (at this point anyway) there isn’t a huge need for another book.

So… maybe this is a job for Super Webmaster!

[quote=kshepard]
It’s a great idea but how would it work?

Narratives would need to be organized an a manner which would allow those looking for them to search by condition. Seems like one way, which as already somewhat in use, is for posters to describe the problem in the thread title.

Describing the issue of the narrative in the thread title of a new forum seems like a good place to start. If the titles were well written, then it would be easy to check the entire forum for past threads that relate to any issue that a member would like to reference.

When I thought I might be writing a book on Home Inspection I began copying my entire library of narratives onto a CD (which was to be included with the book). Since it was already organized, I thought inspectors could use my narratives as templates from which they could customize their own.

Maybe there is a market for just your narratives on CD w/o the book.

You mean become… a vendor? (collective gasp of horror from my family)

INTERIOR, LATE AFTERNOON

My daughter: Dad’s coming up the sidewalk, quick! Lock the door!

My son: Shall I get the shotgun? I’ll get the shotgun.

My wife: No son, it’s bad, but it’s not that bad. Just tell him he doesn’t live here any more.

My son and daughter together: Aaaaaaaw, Mom!

Maybe I’m missing something…why can’t you just post it under “Report Writing” with the thread title “Narritive:NAme of Defect”

It would also put it under Members Only, which is where I think things of this nature belong.

http://www.nachi.org/defectrecognition.htm

Over time we’d amass a large number of narratives posted in random order. It would be hard to find what you were looking for.

What narrative thread do you want to start first Kent???
Just start a thread for each section of your report.:smiley:

The first section is “Exteriors” which has 29 catagories, Brian. Almost every catagory has multiple narratives. Some catagories have up to 20 narratives. Of course, most of those are just basic descriptions, which few need help with. Seems like it’s the wierd situations that people usually ask for help in describing, and how would they be organized so that people can find them easily?

What we’re really talking about here is establishing a library of narratives, organized by subject and defect, accessible and editable by… well, members anyway. Would this be establishing a data base? Are enough people interested in this library to make the time it takes to create worthwhile?

I’ve posted my poll for this week. Somebody’ll slap me with evil feedback if I try another one.

Do it. I’m 100% behind ya.