Is there a service that is offered for diverting water away from cracked foundations?

That was a question we were asked today while doing a Real Estate Seminar. It turns out that a couple of agents had heard about something like this, but it was new to us. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Cheers,

Diverting water away from cracks? On the exterior I presume?

Wouldn’t that be the same as excavation and waterproofing plus drain tiles?

On the interior, I am familiar with epoxy injections that are effective and carry long warranties. But they don’t divert the water away, they just prevent it from penetrating.

Maybe a moat?

Plz add 2.5 points to my ranking…ala Ebay

So it’s true,“No dumb questions only dumb answers”

A moat doesn’t divert water?

Plz deduct 5 points from Mario/canada for a non helpfull response.

A moat doesn’t divert water,it is a body of water that usually surrounds a building,[castle] in no way does it divert it.

20 points for me -20 for you

Dig a trench and use pumps. :wink:

It is called a dewatering system .
I just inspected a home with one last week and can send you some pictures of it if you wish.
How this one was is the owner dug down about 6 feet and built a 2 ft wide by 6 ft long against the home .
Now this home is about 200± from a control height river.He put in a sump pump and maintains the underground water about 18 inches below the basement floor. The home was very dry throughout. Home was about 25 years old . It showed previous water stains. The owner is dead but his brother talked to me for over 1 hour . The home was dry for its first 12 years and then suddenly 5 inches of water came in and after the dewatering system it has never had water again .
About 3 years ago I was called to a very expensive area near here and the Home owner did not have a any water in the Basement but it always showed high moister reading he had many come in and try to figure out how to lower his high humidity reading . He had three humidifiers running and it was OK.
This area is very flat and water leaves the ground very slow .
I recommended a few minor fixes around the home and to put in a moister out side at the rear .
He met me about 7 months later and said I was the only person to tell him how to fix his elevated moisture and he had followed my directions and the home was great no more dewatering system needed .
What I said was to put in outside 30 inch tiles down to 2 ft below the foundation and to put in a sump pump to maintain the water 12 inches below the Basement floor. He said his immediate neighbors loved me too.
Roy Cooke

Thank-you Roy!

Now that’s a good answer to a good question.