Is there a way to test how long wood has been exposed to H2O

Originally Posted By: rcole
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Good morning all,

I need some experienced input, and thanks in advance. I did an Indoor Air Quality test for a customer a few weeks ago. The reason for the test was that during heavy rains water flowed into her downstairs apartment. The water came from the floor above her apartment through the HVAC vents and walls. The test was to determine why the customer is having increased allergy reactions.

She wants to break her lease. The landlord told her no. My customer was told that the only way to break the lease is if there is evidence of water intrusion 5 years before the lease was signed.

Has anyone run up on a situation like this? Is there any way to determine how long wood has been wet? For five years.

Thank you

Originally Posted By: Caoimh?n P. Connell

Hello Mr. Cole:

Two thoughts come to mind. The first is that although I have been involved in literally hundreds of indoor air quality investigations, as an expert witness and as a field investigator, I am not aware of any kind of an ?Indoor Air Quality? test per se that would meet the stated data quality objective of ?to determine why the customer is having increased allergy reactions.? Perhaps you could shed some light on the subject.

Second of all, depending on the specific situation, there certainly may be ways to indirectly speak to the issue of water intrusion.

Cheers,
Caoimh?n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

<SMALL> (The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG </SMALL>

I did oversimplify the process and results. We did find high amount of aspergillus Penicillium in the clients bedroom closet, where the most water collected. She is allergic to Pinincillium. We got a Raw Count of 52, 2240 Spores/m3/ , 48.6%.

Please share the process for determining how long wood is exposed to water.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Caoimh?n P. Connell

Hello Mr. Cole:

We will address the wood issue in a moment? since that's easy...

I?m not sure I understand your mould numbers. For a start, 2,240 spores would not necessarily be ?high? (and would certainly be meaningless if it was a single sample or an average of one or two samples), and would certainly not address the DQOs as stated. Why do you consider 2,240 high especially since that number would be considered very low by the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology (AAAI) classifcation... do you know something that we don't?

What was the distribution of the data for your sample sets, and what was the outdoor influence (not interested in the outdoor spore count just the outdoor influence determination). Finally, I'm not sure I see how the closet sample in particular and the air samples in general meet your stated DQOs? Perhaps you could explain.

Cheers,
Caoimh?n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

Caoimh?n P. Connell wrote:
Hello Mr. Cole:

We will address the wood issue in a moment? since that's easy...

.)

AMDG[/size]

Is the moment up?

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

Forget the IAQ test. This is not for a death or extreme sickness. She wants to break the lease and all we need to know is how to tell how long the wood has been exposed to water.

If you know please explain, if not thanks for your input.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

it’s easy. How long has she been getting water from above? that would be about how long the wood has been wet. icon_rolleyes.gif . when did her symptoms begin, or get worse. is it really “allergies” or could it be a mold ie; black and white issue?. I’ve seen many tenant try to vacate because of mold, and our owner takes it very seriously when we find m&ms. (mold and mildew).

Originally Posted By: gporter

You did your testing. Now stay out of it. You do not want to end up in court. Have her call the county or city to determine if it is livable.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com