Is there check list report books user's out there?

Originally Posted By: jrooff
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

threads on laptops, computer report reporting systems. Only book, check list user am I interested in asking question’s to.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

I train inspectors. For our students we show them about 6-8 notebook inspection reporting systems. The 2 best and most easy to use are “HomeGuide” from Inspection Depot and ITA’s “Matrix Deluxe”.

Originally Posted By: syared

If you’re interested, I have AHIT Inspection reports for sale

6 Bound Inspection Reports
9 "Rooms" loose pages
10 "Additional Comments" loose pages
5 "Summary" loose pages
2 Old style inspection reports unbound with a few pages missing.

$60.00 includes shipping

Steve, just wondering why your selling the AHIT books?

James - get on their site and look, then you won’t wonder why someone is getting rid of them. Easy to use but a lightweight report.

Originally Posted By: bsmith

James-

I use the ITA MAtrix Deluxe and then supplement it with narrative text and photos. I like it. Clients in this neck of the woods want the reports asap. I can do the inspection and hand them the binder (which they also like). I then mail them the “supplement” the next day. Seems to work for me.

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: syared

I use Homegauge software.

Originally Posted By: chorne

James,

I use the Building Analysis Report. A 19 page 3 carbon checklist
report with remark sections fromwww.professionalequipment.com

Works great for me.

Carla

Originally Posted By: dgreen1

James,

I'm from the old school, back in 1986 when I started there wasn't computer reporting systems nor were there report supply companies selling reports. So I had to sit down with an old 286 computer and word processing software and designed my own report that I used a dot-matrix printer and 3 part NCR tractor feed paper to create an onsite reporting system. I have redesigned the format many times since then. We now have them copied on 3 part NCR paper (about 17 pages including the termite report). We print up a nice color cover in our office and bind them using a spirial comb binder in a nice self contained booklet. I've tried all the computer software and have not been that impressed in that they all add at least an hour to my inspection time. I can complete an inspection with my form and deliever the report, collect the check and go in about two hours. The software reports all take me 3+ hours. When you are doing 3+ inspections a day that causes problems. Our clients really like the report and say they prefer getting it onsite as opposed to waiting for the report to be delivered later. We also save a bundle of money owning our own form...I can have them printed for about $3 a piece as opposed to $10 - $50 each from report suppliers.

Just my 2 cents....

--
Michael Green
1-877-INSPECT/InspectorUSA
Kaesar & Blair Advertising Specialties Dealer

Dan, I checked them out but it never said if they have carbonless copies.

Do you know or how do you keep a file on them? The AHIT book’s I been using take up a lot of file space. So far I have had no complaint other than the file thing but I have not looked in to other report’s either but I looking now. Thank’s for all the response from all of you and I hope there will be more, if just to see what’s all out there. Who knows it might even help someone else out. Thanks again Lady’s and Gents.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Dan,

I like Micheal Green have used alot of the ones on the market and for one reason or the other found things in each I did not like so I over time developed my own checklist, book forms that I have pre-printed on NCR form paper so I have a copy for my files. I have massaged it over the last few years probably 4 times each time adding or taking things out that did not work for me. I also developed my own company folder using stock report covers and company covers we developed and have printed on glossy stock. I have my reports down to $1.27 per set and the report cover and folder cost me about another $1.10. It is very slick and professional looking, the customers and agents love them because I too hand them a completed report at the end of the inspection. I do get their email addresses and when I get back to my office I download any pictures, type up the smooth summaries, email them out that same afternoon or evening. Average time to do a summary is about 30 mins. because I have a large inventory of sample statements that I plug in and change as needed. I have more than enough stuff to lug around now in my truck and I have a Ford supercrew. If I ever have to mail out a report across country I just drop the whole thing in the large envelope, stick it in the mailbox with a postage envelope and out it goes. I hate standing in the line at the post office. Average cost of mail delivery is about $1.30. Ive been doing it this way for years and it is simple, clean and very efficient. I have several computer reporting programs but found them to be more cumbersome for me at least and took too long. Early on I realized I was getting sidetracked into all the technical crap keeping up with the latest computer, softwares, etc. I do not knock anyone that uses those formats, its whatever works for you and your customers. Hope this helps

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Carla,

I have some BAR reports lying around in our store room if you want them let me know. I do not know how many but they are yours if you want them. I’ll even pay the postage…Doug

We tried the BAR several years ago and it was nice if there were no problems. If there were many problems you were writing your A$$ off because they had almost no standard comments for defects - their only comments were if everything was OK.

Bill Smith, I will ask this question to you, Dan must of missed it?

Dan, I checked them out but it never said if they have carbonless copies.
Do you know or how do you keep a file on them? The AHIT book's I been using take up a lot of file space. So far I have had no complaint other than the file thing but I have not looked in to other report's either but I'm looking now. Thank's for all the response from all of you and I hope there will be more, if just to see what's all out there. Who knows it might even help someone else out. Thanks again Lady's and Gents.

Originally Posted By: darmstrong

What are your thoughts on delivering a summary page (only) at the inspection, and then the full report within 24 hours? Does anyone do this? I have clients (agents) who insist on getting reports immediately, although most are fine with the next day. I’ve been using Report Host.

Danny

James-

The ITA Matrix Deluxe reports are 4 NCR pages per section. There are 16 sections in all (you might not need all 16). Check the ITA website for paictures of the binders and reports. I give the origianl page to the client in the binder at the inspection and keep the remaining 3 for my files. Hope this helps.

--
Bill Smith
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." A. Einstien

Not sure who has been in the inspection business the longest here but how long do you guy’s hold on to each file. 1 year from date of inspection, two, three or up to 5 year’s?

James-

I had been doing strictly narrative reports up until a year ago and kept everything
on the computer. A comp crash and burn wiped out the files I hadn't backed up. I now use the checklist (with computer supplement) and keep a "hard copy" of everything. With state licensing looming here in NY I might need verification of inspections. It's always a good idea to keep at least a years worth of files.

--
Bill Smith
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." A. Einstien

Bill, I just received my Matrix Deluxe Sample. I have been looking it over and had a few question’s. Do you use the A$h? standards booklet or do you use something else or nothing?

How about the (How to Operate your home) booklet? I kinda like it and the HELP section. Let me know what you use if you would please.

James -

I don't know if the AHIT book has NCR copies or not. Most of the notebook systems use 3 or 4 part NCR. I've used both - I prefer 3 part.

A lot of the guys around here (even long time ASHI Members use the NAHI Standards because they're easier to read and cleaner that the ASHI Stds). As most of you know Arizona rejected the new ASHI Stds in their state and use the older ones instead for much the same reason - the new ones are vague and a little hard to follow - which opens you up for liability.

The Benchmark Report out of California and the HomeGuide out of Florida are both real nice notebook systems.

I pull out 1 NCR copy of the report and file it when I get home at night.

Most inspectors keep reports for 3-5 years due to liability reasons.