Is this a Breach of the fire wall? that side of the wall is attached to the dwelling

It doesn’t matter it’s a breach and write it Up

1 Like

if that is open to the attic …Yes !

1 Like

giphy

4 Likes

Thank you for the answers, I’m still in the process of taking all the courses and finishing up the quizzes and tests, I am in no means certified still just learning, I work for property management and we do inspections but noting close to the depth of a real home inspection. more along the lines of what condition the tenant left the place in, but I feel its necessary to learn these things

4 Likes

Welcome to our forum, David!..enjoy participating. :smiley:

1 Like

It appears that the picture was taken from the garage side of the dwelling. If so, it also appears that there is sheetrock on the inhabited side and not on the garage side. As I understand it, the firewall is only intact when 5/8" sheetrock is completely covering the wall inside the garage all the way to the roof, with all penetrations properly “fire caulked”. Because that covering appears to be deficient, I would call this a defect.

1 Like

1/2" is allowed on the wall. 5/8" Type X is required on the ceiling if living area above.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s a breach of the firewall. :fire:

3 Likes