Is this A/C whip exposed to damage?

Does the whip going to the outer condenser violate UL 360 or 1660 standard requirement that it be protected from damage, or something in the code? It looks to me as if work on the inner unit could put a strain on the whip’s terminations and create a possible electrocution hazard. Any thoughts?

Nah, they’re professionals. :smile:

As always, all conduit should be supported at some interval. The liquid tight flexible metallic conduit shown in your photo should be supported as per NEC specifications and should also be located such that they are not in an area where they are walked on or subjected to other potential damage (e.g., water, lawn mowers, weed eaters, foot traffic). UV damaged items should be replaced.

Why are there two electrical conduits running to each of the units? Have never seen that in my area

You’re missing the obvious on top of improper routing that the conduit is blocking access to the other unit for maintenance.

1 Like

One is being used for the electrical power and the other is being used for the thermostat control wiring (for protection)

1 Like

I would be concerned with the clearance between the AC compressor units.

12” or more of clearance is usually recommended.

Are the brackets attaching the unit to the pad ( closer of the two units to the camera) common in your area? I haven’t seen those used in my area and I’d be hesitant to have those sheet metal screws driven so close to the coil. Thanks!

Code required in Florida, and they even require the bracket to be rated, listed and approved. Never seen the screws damage the coil yet…

Thanks Dominic!

It would take more pictures to be sure but I suspect that one or more of the compressor units is in violation of the general clearance requirements of the US National Electric Code.

110.26 Spaces About Electrical Equipment. Access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.
(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.
(1) Depth of Working Space. The depth of the working space in the direction of live parts shall not be less than that specified in Table 110.26(A)(1) unless the requirements of 110.26(A)(1)(a), (A)(1)(b), or (A)(1)© are met. Distances shall be measured from the exposed live parts or from the enclosure or opening if the live parts are enclosed.

Table 110.26(A)(1) Working Spaces  
Nominal Voltage           Minimum Clear Distance
to Ground                    Condition 1                      Condition 2                Condition 3
0–150                         914 mm (3 ft)                   914 mm (3 ft)            914 mm (3 ft)
151–600                     914 mm (3 ft)                   1.07 m (3 ft 6 in.)       1.22 m (4 ft)
Note: Where the conditions are as follows:

Condition 1 — Exposed live parts on one side of the working space
and no live or grounded parts on the other side of the working space,
or exposed live parts on both sides of the working space that are
effectively guarded by insulating materials.
Condition 2 — Exposed live parts on one side of the working space
and grounded parts on the other side of the working space. Concrete,
brick, or tile walls shall be considered as grounded.
Condition 3 — Exposed live parts on both sides of the working
space.
(a) Dead-Front Assemblies. Working space shall not be required in the back or sides of assemblies, such as deadfront switchboards, switch-gear, or motor control centers, where all connections and all renewable or adjustable parts, such as fuses or switches, are accessible from locations other than the back or sides. Where rear access is required to work on nonelectrical parts on the back of enclosed equipment, a minimum horizontal working space of 762 mm (30 in.) shall be provided.

1 Like