Is This a Defect In Need of Correction?

They all appear to be GE breakers just that the one at the bottom left is newer.

2 Likes

GE has half and standard full size breakers.

1 Like

I’ve been ranting about this for years… The labels saying, “main disconnect” that are really just for the lower bus are misleading and potentially dangerous. Who ever thought this was a good idea? Some say, “lighting main” which is MUCH more accurate. I suspect OP’s situation is that it just kills lights and outlets and he thinks it turns off the whole house. OP, just don’t go sticking your tongue in your dryer outlet when the “main” is off :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are the photos of the cover off the service panel as well as the outside electric meter. Thanks to everyone that is replying! Here is some further info:

1. There is no main disconnect outside the house. I do not see a ground connecting the service main / meter to a metal rod in the ground. The only metal rod stuck in the ground is directly outside the home from where the service panel is located inside the home. l do not see any ground wire clamped to the rod. Is that a problem?

2. You can see the inside of the service panel. I noticed that at some point someone must have been spray painting in the laundry room where the service panel is located and they must have had the cover off the service panel as there is paint over-spray inside.

3. There is a close up of the 40 amp breaker that is marked as “Maint Sect”. As was already mentioned in your replies, you are absolutely right that this 40 amp “Main Sect” breaker only cuts off the lights and outlets in the house. The 40 amp breaker on the upper left is for the outside air conditioning compressor and the 30 amp breaker on the upper right hand side is for the electric dryer. Sure enough, when I turn off the “Main Sect” breaker, the air conditioning compressor and the dryer keep running. So, is this a defect in need of repair?

4. The SOP says to note total amps of service. So, is the total amps the combination of 40 amps for the air conditioning compressor, 30 amps for the dryer, and 40 amps for the lights and outlets (i.e., 110 amps total)?

5. The 20 amp breaker that is on the lower left hand side that does not match the other 20 amp breakers is the breaker the electrician installed when I added a new outlet installed in the home a few years ago. Note that it is on the side with all the 15 amp breakers and all the other 20 amp breakers on the right hand side. The outlet and breaker work fine. I did notice that the ground is connected at the bottom of the service panel where all the white wires are connected.

6. I noticed that the white wires were all connected at the bottom of the service panel. There is at least one ground (can you see more?) that is also connected in the same row as the white wires. I also noticed that several white wires are under one lug. Is this a defect?

If you can spot any other defects from my photos, please let me know. Thanks so much for your insights! This is really helpful for a new inspector!

1 Like

One other note: The water heater and stove in the home are gas, so no separate breaker for them.

A good thing to photograph is the label on the inside of the panel cover.

1 Like

Yes, thank you. Here is a photo of the legend. The legend looks the same as when I first bought the house in 1996. Needless to say, I am filling in the rest of the legend today.

I looked at the wiring diagram in the legend. It appears that the arrangement of breakers is correct. As mentioned already in your replies, this appears to be example of a service panel that requires more than one throw to turn off all the electricity in the home. Specifically, it takes three throws to turn everything off (AC, Dryer, and Main Sect). O.K., good to know.

Correct, as others said it is a split bus panel which does not have a single main breaker.

3 Likes

This is what the SOP states

Furthermore

1 Like

So does this panel actually have a single max amp rating? Sub section is 100 amp max. Branch breakers 70 copper/55 AL. How would you report this?

The panel label says 125 amps.

1 Like

Thank you, I was focused on Jeffrey’s. I see that now. Good stuff.

1 Like

You may also need to know the size of the service entrance conductors. For example if the SEC’s are only 100 amps then even though the panel is rated for 125 amps the service would be a 100 amp service.

5 Likes

Split bus distribution/service panel.
Panel rating, 125 Amps Max.
*Side Note: (Split-bus electrical panels are different from other electrical service panels because they don’t have a single circuit breaker to shut off all of the power. Most common household service distribution panels use a single Main Circuit Breaker Disconnect or Main Breaker to shut off the flow of current/power.

Split bus distribution/service panels can have ‘several circuit breakers, up to 6, labeled’ “Main”, and they’re all mains for other equipment. Lighting circuit breakers are positioned below. There can actually be up to six (6) Main Breakers in these panels.)
Hope that helps.

No, it doesn’t. Do you EVER post anything that hasn’t already been posted by others??

1 Like

asswiggle

Oh, trust me, it is NOT what I was going to post!

Read my post. Show me my post, the entire post, was recreated from others.

I typically do not follow the thread when you and your lover post.

11 years and ass.
Too bad
So sad for the organization.